Fix for free in the last minutes?

Reaction score
This is the summary of what has been going on with my MBP C2D 2.4 ghz purchased in September 2007.

1.After getting my MBP for around 10 days, the top case got replaced because some of the screws were not tight at all; they made the sound “click click” whenever I put my hand on the keyboard.

2.Around October 2008, the Machine completely died and this is the list of what apple replaced

-Logicboard defect
-LCD defect Inverter board
-Logicboard change
-LCD change
-Flex cable change on supposition
-The sleep indicator change

Things for use
Display clamshell, glossy
PCBA, MLB, 2,4 GHZ, REV2
Left I/O Board Flex

3.In 2009, the optical drive died. I got it replaced.

Since then, my MBP ran OK until yesterday when I experienced the symptom of this: the screen was completely dark and when I turned on my MBP, I only heard the “tooong ” sound (Start up sound).

I have tried the followings myself:
Reset SMC
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

According to this article,
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues
Apple will take their responsibility for 4 years. This morning, I called to apple and told them the details, the person on the phone gave me the case number and asked me to go to the apple reseller. He told me to let the technicians test if this is a real problem of this known issue. If it is, I can get it replaced for no cost.

However, I tried to turn on my MBP again just now and it booted up but there was only the apple sign and the gear spinning, yes…only spinning and the only thing I can do is to press and hold power button to turn it off. I turned turn it on again but it was just black screen like it was.

After awhile, I tried again and after many tries, the screen turned on again, so I decided to boot with installation CD and make a clean installation. I managed to make the machine installed and now I am waiting for the time machine working.

My question is:
Do you guys think my MBP got the same problem as one mentioned in the article?

I would really appreciate for any input. Sorry for a long post.
Regards,
SG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's hard to say.... it does appear that it may be the infamous nVidia dying GPU, however, the only way to find out is to take it on in. Let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
After I did the fresh installation of Snow Leopard, backup everything from the TM went smoothly. Run the SW update and installed all the things it lists. The machine is now behaving quite well, I tried restarting, shutting down couple of times and turning on, let the machine run and put in sleep mode, everything works like the way it should be.

On the other hand, I am quite curious that actually after do the fresh installation, the machine run a little bit faster. But I am thinking this should be nothing related to the OS itself?

Anyway, I am going to bring my machine to apple shop and let them check it out. I will let you know the result.

Regards,
SG

OP
S
Reaction score
... here is the result, I think I am quite lucky.

Delivered the machine on Monday afternoon, I expected it would take at least a week to know the result but this afternoon I received a SMS from the store said the machine is ready to pickup. When I come to the shop, the technician said it was problem from the NVIDIA graphic card and I got the logic board replaced for free.

But I have a question, hopefully someone can give me an explanation. My original logic board had serial number W2222222ABC, when I got replaced the logic board the first time in 2008, I could not see my logic board serial number, what I could see it ###.

Today when I got my machine back with new logic board replaced, I checked the serial number and it is W2222222ABC, as you can see it is same with the original logic board that got replaced in 2008. How this is possible? Do you guys think apple can set the serial number on logic board to whatever number we want?

Please give me some hints
Regards,
SG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.