Question about OS X Tiger

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 17" G4 1.6 Ghz Powerbook purchased back in 2005. I no longer use it, but I would like to pass it down to a family down my street who just lost most everything in a house fire including their computer.

I have copied everything off of the laptop I want and was wanting to do a clean re-install from my system software discs that came with the laptop.

My question is this... now that Tiger is long obsolete, if I were to do this and send the laptop back to 2005, would the over the Internet software updates be available still to bring it back up to as current as available? I have no intentions of buying the retail box set of Leopard for $150 as the lag that would result on this old machine isn't worth the bells and whistles in OS they would gain. They can choose to do so later if they like.

I would want to present it to them completely updated and ready to go without them needing to update a bunch of software updates, and just want to be sure the updates will be available still for a fresh install from 2005 system discs.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Many thanks in advance!

Mac :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks!

Excellent! I appreciate the link! That should give me all the OS updates and everything else such as iTunes and Safari, etc, will either come up on the updater or I can manual dl them from the sites.

Cool!

Appreciate the help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Yep, that will give you everything in the one hit including Safari 3.
Anything left regarding Safari and iTunes will come up with regular  software updater.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.