IMac G3 blue screen, nothing works

Reaction score
I have an old imac G3, I deleted something obviously important because now when I start it, I see the grey apple logo etc, but after that it is just blue. I do not have a disk or anything, I bought it from a friend years ago. I only want to get old pictures off of there.

I have another computer which is not a mac. I bought a firewire but have no clue if I can even access anything on the mac from a pc. I connected both but didn't see anything. I am not real computer savy so any advice would be great!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your other computer, I'm going to assume is Windows. Windows can't read the filesystem that Macs use by default (HFS+). So, you can do a couple of things...

1. (easiest) Purchase MacDrive for Windows. That ought to do the trick and it should read the disk.

2. (potentially more difficult) Download a copy of Ubuntu Linux. If I'm not mistaken, Ubuntu comes with built-in support for HFS+. You should be able to burn it to a disc, boot the PC from that disc, but do NOT install. Plug the drive in and start retrieving your files and copying over to your internal hard drive (I believe Ubuntu also has full NTFS support).

Again, if you're not savvy with computers, option 2 will probably require a bit of tinkering and might not be a good idea.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your other computer, I'm going to assume is Windows. Windows can't read the filesystem that Macs use by default (HFS+). So, you can do a couple of things...

1. (easiest) Purchase MacDrive for Windows. That ought to do the trick and it should read the disk.

2. (potentially more difficult) Download a copy of Ubuntu Linux. If I'm not mistaken, Ubuntu comes with built-in support for HFS+. You should be able to burn it to a disc, boot the PC from that disc, but do NOT install. Plug the drive in and start retrieving your files and copying over to your internal hard drive (I believe Ubuntu also has full NTFS support).

Again, if you're not savvy with computers, option 2 will probably require a bit of tinkering and might not be a good idea.
Thanks, I am not a complete idiot with computers, but I think if I get the mac drive I can figure it out, it is not a whole other operating system is it? Is it just software? If I do that, do I just connect the fire wire and I will be able to figure it out from there?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks, I am not a complete idiot with computers, but I think if I get the mac drive I can figure it out, it is not a whole other operating system is it? Is it just software? If I do that, do I just connect the fire wire and I will be able to figure it out from there?

That's right - check out the link I posted above. MacDrive is just a program for Windows that adds the missing capabilities. I have not personally used it, but I've heard from others who have and it sounds as though it's very straightforward.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's right - check out the link I posted above. MacDrive is just a program for Windows that adds the missing capabilities. I have not personally used it, but I've heard from others who have and it sounds as though it's very straightforward.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.