External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive that has 2 forms of connection, USB2 and Firewire 800. It has worked flawlessly for about 1 year , now when connected to any Mac computer , desktop or laptop , with either connection , it does not register on the decktop . I have tried both USB2 and the firewire connections , restarts .... every form or combination. Any suggestions as the hard drive is my backup and and in many cases the only copy of much of my files. How to make the external drive readable ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums workphoto

When you said "it has worked flawlessly for about 1 year" do you mean on your mac computer or on Windows based computers?
Also to see that the HDD is being noticed by your Mac, plug it in and open Disk Utility, located in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility (or a quick spotlight search), and see if it appears in the left pane.

HTH,

- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
The Ext-HD appears in the Disk Utility panel , but when asked to repair , it will not , with the messages. ..."the underlying task reported failure on exit".
So now what.....?
I don't use it on PC's ever , only on 3 macs I have., 2 laptops and a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Odds are the drive has become corrupted and will need to be reformatted. Sadly, you can't get your stuff off in an easy way. That being said if you get something like this:

Amazon.com: Data Rescue 3: Software

...you can recover your stuff before you reformat. It's saved my butt more than once with corrupted drives.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you notice one of those Amazon resellers has it for $69 + 3.99 shipping, new. Fantastic price. I'm tempted to buy it and keep it around for emergencies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.