Chill Mats, Brand New Mac User

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm getting my first Mac.

It's a 15 inch Macbook Pro.

Waiting for it to arrive but my question is.

Can you use the chill mats with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I certainly can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to! :)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Why ruin the look of a beautifully designed notebook with a chill mat. MBP will run on a warmish side occasionally but not a detriment. Enjoy the notebook without the clutter.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Of course you can, but it's by no means a necessity. :) Mine sits on one next to the couch for when I want to use it on my lap. Keeps it at a better angle for typing and I used to occasionally plug it in for the fan if I was really cranking something - but I haven't done that in some time. Personally - I find that it's a good accessory for couch/lap use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro PowerBook G4 ipod classic imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
fair play that looks a nice pad much better than the ones ive seen on ebay

OP
G
Reaction score
I've always had to use a chill mat with any laptop. I'm not used to not needing this chill mat concept.

I had a Dell laptop about..4 years ago? And it melted even with a chill mat.

I have a toshbia now and it requires a chillmat.

So I'll wait to get one with my macbook pro.

C

chas_m

Unless you're maxing out the processors all day, all the time, there really isn't a reason for a "chill mat." Apple's notebooks run warm under load (which is why they never refer to them as "laptops" -- gotta protect the boys!), but they are exquisitely well-designed to vent heat properly. Metal, it turns out, dissipates heat better than plastic! Who knew? :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A notebook stand makes more sense in that it provides some protection against "spills" in addition to allowing air to flow beneath the machine.

OP
G
Reaction score
A notebook stand makes more sense in that it provides some protection against "spills" in addition to allowing air to flow beneath the machine.

There will be no eating and drinking around my macbook pro when it comes. Ha ha

C

chas_m

Shikarnov: as you probably know, that is perfectly normal.

chscag: VERY good point! Though of course drinks should be nowhere near a computer EVER.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I do run with a chill mat under my computer if I am sitting at a desk. The problem is any flash on the web can cause the CPU to spike. With no flash going my computer sits at 74F=24C - with flash going it can hit 95F=35C easily. I like Targus' offerings.
Cooling | by Targus

If you intend to use it on your lap I'd recommend something between you and the computer. There are pads that don't use any power - and at least act as a barrier between you and the computer.
Amazon.com: ThermaPAK Laptop Cooling Heatshift Pad: Electronics
Cooling for Laptops | AWE45US1 | by Targus

Note that you can never really overcool a computer. The cooler you can run it the more performance is available.

Reaction score
Shikarnov: as you probably know, that is perfectly normal.

Yeah, I know. That was the point I was making. In the past, when I had the device resting on my table directly, it would run in the neighborhood of 60-65C. So I'm happy with the iLap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.