freezing g4 ibook

Reaction score
Have been given an ibook and was told it froze when first loaded, so am trying to figure out if its the ram or the hard drive.
So decided to reinstall tiger and it gets as far as either the choose language or within 2 mins of starting reinstall.
Its a 30gb oldish 12 inch ibook with a 1gb stick installed one make i have never heard of before Trump Disco816D DDR 1GB -333 mhz SO Dimm

I don't want to buy both ram and hard drive together so what do you guys suggest.

I have a diagnostic disc for the ibook but when i try to use it, it says not for my model (it didn't come with the ibook, i just had it from a previous model)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's hard to say with a machine that old. But one thing is for sure and that is you're going to need the correct disk or a retail disk to do some trouble shooting and possibly reinstall the OS.

The freezing could be the hard drive or memory. I would probably change the hard drive first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.