A few questions

Reaction score
I've been hanging on for a while, but am going to buy an iPad2. Just a couple of questions, all answers gratefully received!

I have a 30GB iPod with 3GB of space. Does the iPad sync with the same iTunes account? If so, assuming that it syncs all of the iTunes content, that would seem to suggest that a 32GB iPad is the smallest that I should get, and that it would probably be best to go for the 64GB iPad.

I am also seriously considering buying a MacBook Pro, too (I'm currently a Vista user, although I was a Mac user for a long time). Does the iPad, like my iPod, need to be formatted to work with either PC or Mac, but not both? That being the case, would it be better to buy the MacBook, transfer the iTunes library from PC to Mac, and then format the iPad to the Mac at that point?

Please forgive any ignorance on my part - I am very grateful to the expertise of other forum members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
First - you will want to get the 64GB iPad if you plan on putting your entire iTunes library on it. As you get apps, which will be generally larger in space requirements, for the iPad, that 3GB of space will disappear very quickly. The only time I would think about upping the videos and music on my iPad is if I was going away for a bit. Ramping up the media for a weekend or so, no big deal. Keeping the iPad at the verge of full, not a good idea. Apps need room to expand and pull in data saved.

I just bought my Mac - not even in hand yet - and I have moved my iTunes library through 5 computers in the last 8 years. There is no need to "format" the iPad. If you are keeping BOTH the PC and the Mac, then I would suggest moving your iTunes library and data to an external hard drive and make sure to point iTunes to the external drive on both machines. I share my library between 2 PCs now with no issues. You just have to remember to plug the drive in (and at least on the Windows side) make sure it has the same drive letter that iTunes is set for.

Again, there is no need to "format" an iPad for either PC or Mac. It is its own machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You don't HAVE to sync all your iTunes content to your iPad. You can be selective about what you put on the it. If you are keeping the iPod and have no intention of using the iPad for playing music, then your storage needs will be much different. I don't sync our music or videos to our iPad, so the 32 GB model has proven to be more than adequate.

There's no need to format the iPad at all. You couldn't even if you wanted to. It's a computer in and of itself, so that simply doesn't apply. You will need to transfer your library from the PC to the Mac in any event when that time comes.

OP
P
Reaction score
Many thanks, both, for the prompt replies, and for the useful responses - very much appreciated.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have followed the advice given, and have now reserved a 64GB iPad, ready to collect later this week. Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.