Must Dos

Reaction score
Just got an iMac... Is there any must dos/downloads I should do/get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
VLC was the first thing i dl'ed it is the most encompassing video player around (every day use that is)
the standard quicktime does not play as many formats ,and to upgrade you must pay... VLC=free.. easy to use
the only downside is there are only keyboard short cuts for control though.. figured them out with trial and error..

thirdly- openoffice is a good free counter part for microsoft office.. rather than 80$ iwork

skype is good for chatting face to face with pc users (free)
facetime is the mac version, 99 cents -mac app store-

i just figured this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9YNxSwzyc
its all in there but you can control your iMac with VNC mocha lite app on an ipod, iphone, or ipad

there are more but those are the ones i use the most
hope that helped

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read our forum Guidelines. Specifically this part:

Respect copyrights and the law.

Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

Thanks for your cooperation.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear ttuhd

An extraordinarily difficult question to answer. It is so personal and depends on your needs, interests etc.

So here's a few (mainly free) apps which I use a lot.

VLC already mentioned. Handbrake (which works in conjunction with VLC although they are totally separate apps), is for interrogating, legally copying DVDs.

1Password is widely used by Mac folk as a very secure PW generator, PW and Log In Manager and much, much more.

Flip4Mac, free, allows you to view imagery, videos created by Windows Media Player on your Mac.

OnyX is a free Utility that tests your Mac for faults, does lots more and is a very handy Maintenance & Troubleshooting app.

I suggest that before you download the free or purchased apps, you read up on them. Macworld has numerous reviews of these and similar products. Senior Editors in Macworld regularly offer their "can't live without" apps.

They also offer their tweaks and settings for the Mac on first purchase - and on it goes.

Explore Macworld and Mac Forums for previous discussions and suggestions.

In the end, it's down to you.

Best I can offer, sorry.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.