• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Reportedly Looking to Level Up Its Gaming Story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Bah.. I got excited for a moment, thinking that this would be related to gaming on OS X, and not just silly/childish kids games for iOS. How dumb of me. Oh well, a girl can dream....

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I thought exactly the same thing as you and also got excited. Almost bouncing off the walls.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually this is big news. If people choose an itouch over a NDS then Apple have won. Heck the itouch is getting pretty good for mobile gaming as it is. And giving Nintendo a run for it's money. And if they get the 2 ex-Nintendo people to work for Apple it'll be a bigger plus.

Everyone said Apple and dedicated gaming machines is bad. And I agree. But I think the itouch and other i-devices are slowly becoming thought of as really good for gaming.

Now the itouch is a ipod+caneldar+other things that just happens to be able to play games now. But in the future I'm sure people will see the itouch as more a portable gaming console that that just happens to be an ipod and calendar and other things too. Times are changing and Apple are going with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Meh. Big news for Apples pockets, that's about it. I find "gaming" to be rather boring on an iPhone/iPod Touch. There's something about the true tactile experience, that really makes gaming feel more natural. Give me an analog joystick and D pad any day over just a touch screen.

And personally speaking, I don't think that this is a case of someone winning anything other than who has the bigger virtual e-weenie in the dull touch screen gaming OS department. I'd personally much rather play the kinds of games that Nintendo has to offer, and would be much more impressed with a touch screen/d-pad analog control combo than just a touch screen alone.

And don't forget, Apple doesn't release iOS devices solely for gaming. People are buying them for the other intended purposes, and have mobile gaming as a bonus. And quite frankly, I don't understand what you could possibly find intriguing about any of the iOS games if you're comparing them to classics (on the other platforms) . I find them to lack in substance for the most part, and see them more as a quick fix to get through a train ride if you don't have a book or anybody to talk to.

Different strokes I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with you Doug b now. But look at the potential in 5-10 years it could be a totally different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Gotta agree with both of you on this one. Sure right now I personally wouldn't get an iTouch over an NDS or a PSP, but I can certainly see alot of potential and like the8th says in 5-10 years who knows what it may be like.
I also agree with the purely touchscreen experience, i'm not a massive fan, but a carrier for it in the style of the PSP would be cool, just slot the iTouch into where the screen goes on the PSP would be sweet. (I may just patent this idea) ;)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see the accelerometer playing a big part in iOS games though. Heck you could even use the gyroscope. As in the device would know it's position is 3D space and as you move the device the screen changes. Like you are looking into a new gaming world through the little screen window.

So there is more options then just touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seconded, I sure was blown away with even just the Jenga game they made for keynote speech showing off the gyroscope! Still gives me goosebumps hehe.
YouTube - iPhone 4's new gyroscope

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.