• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor: Best Buy's iPad 2 sales strategy gets it 'blacklisted' by Apple

Reaction score
Rumor: Best Buy's iPad 2 sales strategy gets it 'blacklisted' by Apple

Numerous rumors have claimed that Best Buy is in hot water with Apple over its alleged policy to stop iPad 2 sales once it meets its quota for the day, leaving the retailer "blacklisted" from further iPad sales.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif

Read more

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This is really interesting. Although I do the majority of my shopping at BB for my electronics, this is kind of deserving, if true. That's just not right that the managers can get away with this at the expense of Apple and customers. With rumors of the iPad coming to Toy R us, this is pretty good timing.

Secondly, what is up with the advertisement of BB dissing the iPad? Apple even offers accessories to replicate that same setup, very similar to the ASUS Eee Pad in the photo. :/

Best Buy pulls ad that makes fun of iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Best Buy is trash, always has been and always will be. I really wish Apple would just pull all their stuff from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Best Buy is trash, always has been and always will be. I really wish Apple would just pull all their stuff from them.

My thoughts exactly.

Reaction score
I never really liked the way Apple products have been portrayed at BestBuy. They either have them scattered all over the electronics/computer section, or they don't display all the Mac products that the next nearest BB is. And when it comes to the Mac computers, they've been messed with so badly, and are highly out of date. And sometimes, the idiots there don't know half of what they're talking about!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner

Amen

I have been saying this forever.

So glad I have an apple store..but for most a bb is all they got

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Amen

I have been saying this forever.

Yeah, so true. We at least have an Apple Reseller, but they are so small and have limited resources. I'm envious of people who have stories that people get a new mac replacement right on the spot. My reseller / Authorized Service Provider would never do this. They just don't have the inventory for that much customer service. I've had a botched repair job from them, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy from them.

Schweb needs to let me move into his garage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
The customer service experience at an apple store is second to none.

Any issues and your usually walking out with it fixed or a new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It gets better. Best had, then pulled, an ad for an ASUS tablet that mocked the iPad. It featured the iPad duct-taped to a keyboard. Methinks Best Buy is digging themselves a realllllly deep hole.
Best Buy pulls ad that makes fun of iPad - TUAW

Reaction score

For those of us in the sticks, an Apple Store is 1-2 hours away.

I am glad that BB has some of the items on display so I can have a look, but there is no way any even slightly educated consumer should buy Apple gear from BB.

Banish the thought!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is not all Best Buy stores are created equal. I've got four in my local area, sometimes my shopping experience is real good, other times it's not. And it varies from store to store. I wouldn't buy a computer from them but I've got no problem with buying iPods, TVs, and other electronic items.

I've run into the same sort of thing even at large stores such as Fry's and the Microcenter. Best Buy is not alone in providing poor service.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I simply gave up asking questions at any big chain electronics retailer. Don't believe I've found anyone that could appropriately answer any question I might ask at one of those stores in at least the last 10-15 years.

Think that's how I ended up with not only my first Mac, but also my first off-the-shelf system in more than 10 yrs. Went into an Apple store just to have a look, and had someone spend an hour with me that was actually able to answer nearly every question I had. I really was amazed, and walked out with 2 Macs.

For those doing their own research and looking at these stores only as the local depot (or storage facility) with a wide range of stuff where you can actually lay eyes on and touch the last couple of items you've narrowed down your search to, then one is as good as the next.

For those needing to buy on credit, you certainly can't beat 18 months zero interest - assuming you actually can pay it off in that time and the price is right (e.g. you're not paying a 20% premium up front in order to get it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
A buddy of mine some time back insisted on getting me to go with him to shop for a computer (my pre-Mac days). I always built my Windows PCs and had a great disdain for branded ones, but he was too unsure about the whole thing to let me build one. So we go to Circuit City and the sales guy was trying to sell him a Sony with 2 CD drives for copying CDs if he needed, saying that if he doesn't buy it with the 2 drives now, he can't add a 2nd one later because they won't work for copying if they aren't the same speeds. I immediately called BS on that, and flustered him all to pieces.

Anywho… the point of that is that pretty much all retailers suck. If you know what you are doing, go to Best Buy or whereever nets you the best deal and make your own decisions. I don't let salespeople make my decisions for me. Ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
For those doing their own research and looking at these stores only as the local depot (or storage facility) with a wide range of stuff where you can actually lay eyes on and touch the last couple of items you've narrowed down your search to, then one is as good as the next.

That's exactly how i use BB (or any other retailer). Thanks to the internet, I can do tons of research and then find the best deal near me (if the price to order it online with shipping is negligible), and sometimes that place is Best Buy. I actually bought my iMac there, but only because I found a great deal on a store return that was in mint condition, and the floor people took even more money off because I gave them the 'I'll think about it' line.

I'm not even an old timer, and even I lament the lack of knowledge in salespeople doing retail. Its even getting bad in specialty shops. I'm a novice photographer and when I go into my local Sammys (which is a dedicated professional photography store) the people on the floor always need to get some old timer to answer my very basic questions and I've unknowingly been sold completely wrong equipment for my needs before finding out for myself online it was the wrong thing.

Adam Carolla has this funny rant about how when he was a kid he just naturally assumed and took for granted that all grownups were really competent and respected them as authority figures. But now that he's a grownup he realizes that nobody knows a ****ing thing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.