Ipad software question

Reaction score
I have an Imac at home and still am considering a ipad to use for work, is the mail app on the Ipad similar to Imac where you can add to dos that show up in the mail client and calendar? Sounds a bit silly but I use outlook now and I don't really dig it as well as my home machine.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What mail server are you using? Gmail, yahoo, aol, Microsoft Exchange?

There are ways to make everything (Email, Contacts, Calendar) stay sync'd up without having to plug in the iPad and sync through iTunes. I have had my iPad since September last year and have had it stay current along with 3 PCs and my phone. I can help you, but need to know what kind of server you are using in Outlook.

OP
J
Reaction score
What mail server are you using? Gmail, yahoo, aol, Microsoft Exchange?

There are ways to make everything (Email, Contacts, Calendar) stay sync'd up without having to plug in the iPad and sync through iTunes. I have had my iPad since September last year and have had it stay current along with 3 PCs and my phone. I can help you, but need to know what kind of server you are using in Outlook.
well for work we use crap pop 3 on the way to exchange.... and I use gmail at home. I've started using google calendar and I have a droid X.

Does the calander have a to do list since the mail app is missing it or a task list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
POP3 is bad. No way to sync POP3 accounts unless there is some IT Magic happening behind the scenes.

For Gmail, you can set up the iPad to use the Microsoft Exchange setting and have it sync Mail, Calendar and Contacts.

There is no built-in "Tasks" or "ToDo's" for the iPad. Personally, I see it as an oversight, however there are plenty of apps that will let you do that, and most will work with Google.

When you hear "There's an app for that." it is 95% true. There are some things that the iPad just cannot do. However when users realize it is meant to augment their existing computer, not replace it, that 5% is no longer an issue.

OP
J
Reaction score
POP3 is bad. No way to sync POP3 accounts unless there is some IT Magic happening behind the scenes.

For Gmail, you can set up the iPad to use the Microsoft Exchange setting and have it sync Mail, Calendar and Contacts.

There is no built-in "Tasks" or "ToDo's" for the iPad. Personally, I see it as an oversight, however there are plenty of apps that will let you do that, and most will work with Google.

When you hear "There's an app for that." it is 95% true. There are some things that the iPad just cannot do. However when users realize it is meant to augment their existing computer, not replace it, that 5% is no longer an issue.

I'm keeping my laptop I just want something more portable from client to client visits to keep my notes in say note pad that I can email/copy past into another system. I have terrible handwriting so taking paper notes typing, then keeping the notes would be eliminated. If the calendar app can sync with google calendars that should basically do what I need it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the Calendar app will sync with Google very easily. And if you use the Exchange method, it will do gmail and contacts as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.