A real Simple question about Mac Picture Viewer

Reaction score
So I have a bunch of jpg's in a folder. If it were windows, I'd just click one, and in the previewer i'd just press the next button or arrow key at it would cycle to the next picture. I see the same buttons on the Mac Picture previewer, but neither those buttons nor arrow keys work in cycling to the next picture!

What is that simple tiny thing that I'm missing? It really can't be hard to look at pictures.
Cheers!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can do one of two things:

1. Select the images you want to view and double click the selection. All the pictures will then open in Preview.
2. Select one and push the spacebar to open it in QuickLook. Use the arrow keys to view the next/previous picture in the folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
To look at a bunch of images and be able to cycle through using those to arrows in the preview window, you need to either select all the images that you want to view and right click to open with preview, or alternatively, put preview in your dock and drop them on the preview icon.

Otherwise, you can use finder in coverflow view.

Edit: Vansmith got in there while I was typing :)
Also, added Quicklook as an alternative which I forgot, and yes, double click is a better option than my silly right click method :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
And, if I may elaborate, QuickView will work on just about any file, not just jpgs, including mp3's, movie files, and even MS Word documents. You can get a look at any file without having to open any applications.

C

chas_m

And, if I may elaborate, QuickView will work on just about any file, not just jpgs, including mp3's, movie files, and even MS Word documents. You can get a look at any file without having to open any applications.

QuickLook (not QuickView) also works for other MS Office documents, other graphics formats, other sound and video formats and PDFs too.

I find it far superior to the Windows method. Click and press space. Done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.