Imac tick noise

Reaction score
I just bought my first mac product about a week ago. I bought an iMac 27" i3. I have been hearing a faint tick noise every 10 seconds or so when I am using my mac. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does I notice a faint tick noise which seems to come from the top right of my screen. Everything seems to be working fine with the computer but I'm wondering if this faint tick noise I hear every 10 seconds or so is normal or if i should be worried about it? Like I said sometimes I dont hear it happening at all, just once in a while i'll notice it when using the computer. I'm not super computer savy so just wondering if anyone thinks this may be something to worry about or am i over reacting? Thanks for the help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Sawch

Strange that the noise is coming from the top right of the screen. I have posted a picture of the inside of the iMac in question. As you can see from it to the middle right is the Superdrive (disk player) in the middle is the hard drive (I would expect the noise to be coming from this more than anything). Are you sure it is coming from the top right? It could be how it sounds from where it is coming from and not actually where it IS coming from.
attachment.php

Hope this helps a little
- Simon

apple_imac.jpeg

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums Sawch

Strange that the noise is coming from the top right of the screen. I have posted a picture of the inside of the iMac in question. As you can see from it to the middle right is the Superdrive (disk player) in the middle is the hard drive (I would expect the noise to be coming from this more than anything). Are you sure it is coming from the top right? It could be how it sounds from where it is coming from and not actually where it IS coming from.
attachment.php

Hope this helps a little
- Simon

Hey, yeah I'm not totally sure if its the top right, could be more of the middle right but to be honest its hard to tell. Would this sound be something to worry about if it is coming from this middle part? Like I had said sometimes its completely quiet (it is right now) but the odd time i use it I do hear this faint tick every 10 seconds or so. Thanks for your time!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It could just be the HDD accessing data at times that is making the noise. However if you are still worried about it and you still have Applecare then I would recommend you take it to your local Apple Store!

Hope this helps
- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.