Confused about mp3 files.

Reaction score
Okay so I just purchased my MBP and so far I love the thing. I transfered my mp3's from a external hard drive to the music folder in my user account that we'll just call "me". I then told itunes to find mp3's on my computer and compile them into itunes.

My question is are these files now double saved. Meaning are the files duplicated in an itunes folder and the music folder I had orginally tarnsfered them to?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the noob question, just learning and learning to love my new mbp.

C

chas_m

Yes they probably are. You can double-check this by opening iTunes, selecting one of the songs in question and right-click (or control-click) to "Reveal in Finder." If the path is different than just "the music folder" then definitely the files are duplicated and you can trash the ones in the original music folder.

For future reference, a much easier way to add music files to iTunes is to just drag them into iTunes' main window. Once added, you can throw away the "originals."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Once added, you can throw away the "originals."
As long as you have "Copy to iTunes library" ticked in iTunes Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.