Newbie to Terminal-Locked hard drives help.

Reaction score
After experiencing some major weirdness and home network (Ethernet) access permissions between my 3 computers my G5 ('05) restarted with a black screen/command line asking for my password which was unaccepted as correct. I rebooted from the OS 10.5 disk and accessed Time Machine to restore my boot drive to a version before my issues with access permissions started. All went as expected and upon restart my desktop was back but my additional hard drives (one internal and one external) and a partition for TechTools on my system drive were unaccessible and the icons included a padlock. I found an earlier post on this Forum from member Frosche that suggested using this code in Terminal: sudo chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/***** replacing ***** with the name of the volume . This worked for the partition on the system drive but the other two drives got the response that their names do not exist. I changed the names on these drives to something"clever" long ago. Is this the problem or am I not accessing them correctly in the command line. I don't want to make a mess of this as the data on the one drive is backed up with Time Machine on the other.
This is a PowerMac G5 (late '05) running 10.5.8 with 2 internal SATAs and a OWC external hard drive for Time Machine.

As further explanation When I enter the code <sudo chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/The Machine> and hit enter the response is enter password and then:
chflags: /Volumes/The: No such file or directory
chflags: Machine: No such file or directory

Is there another level of Terminal I need to be at to access the hard drives themselves?

Any help with un-locking these drives is appreciated.

Reaction score
As further explanation When I enter the code <sudo chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/The Machine> and hit enter the response is enter password and then:
chflags: /Volumes/The: No such file or directory
chflags: Machine: No such file or directory

You need to escape The Machine, if that's what you're using as the name. For example:
chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/'The Machine'

See the single quotes? Bash has trouble with file names with spaces in them. It thinks it's two separate commands, which it naturally cant find.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Cradom

It worked exactly as you said for the internal drive. Unfortuneately when I did the same for my external Time Machine drive Terminal apparently began listing every file and replied "operation not permitted" after each line. That was about 15 minutes ago and it is still running. I assume I should just let it run until the end.
Man, I can do complex 3D modeling but give me my artists GUI. I suck at this code thing.
Any ideas about this? Could the drive being an external Firewire 400 drive be the cause?

OP
J
Reaction score
More Trouble

Well, Terminal ran as stated above and then just quit. I restarted and the external disk icon is no longer on the desktop. Disk Utility nor Tech Tools will recognize it for mounting or formating. Frankly, after recovering my data on disk # 2 I'ld just as soon wipe this external disk and just start over with Time Machine. I've already blown one deadline concentrating on this problem. So frustrating.
Before I slip into Rantsville, anybody have a clue how to get this locked disk recognized so I can initialize it?

Thanks again to Cradom for helping me get my important disk back.

Reaction score
I think it has to do with it being a Time Machine drive and special permissions tho I could be wrong.
As far as that "operation not permitted" thing you could have just done a "control-c" to stop the command.

OP
J
Reaction score
Much More calm now.

Told you I was a newbie. Some day I will sit down and learn this stuff. It's really cool (and scary). I'm going to call the drive's manufacturer this AM and see what they say. OWC is a great company with very good tech support.
Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.