TV and Blu-Ray player wont read HFS HDD

Reaction score
Hey there all

Just decided that storing a whole heap of Blu-rays onto my HDD, buuuuut both of my Blu-ray players and my brand new 55" LED tv only support NTFS or FAT/FAT32... Bloody ridiculous if you ask me!!

So now im stuck with files on a HDD that cant be used....

So is my only option to create a windows partition on my mac and convert my blu-rays on there thus allowing me to format my HDD to FAT32 which i can move the Blu-rays back onto it and then my TV will recognise the HDD??

Is there a simpler way to get around this crapola situation??

thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't use FAT-32 for BR storage. BR files can be very large and the upper limit for a single file in FAT-32 is 4 GB. Use NTFS instead.

You may be better off buying a new external hard drive that's already formatted to NTFS and moving all the BR files to it. Then, all you would have to do is connect the external to your TV via USB.

OP
M
Reaction score
pretty sure just answered my own question by downloading NTFS-3G for mac and thanks for sorting my problem mate

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be very careful with NTFS 3G as it's buggy and can cause corruption especially with large files. You might be better off buying a copy of Paragon NTFS for $19.95 US. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.