iMac didn't want to turn on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
Weird. I live in an old house, built the same year the Titanic went down. The power is pretty good, but given my neighborhood, once in a blue moon, the power has been known to go out for a fraction of a second. This morning it did just that. The lights flickered, the TV went out, but the clocks kept their time. Thats good because I hate having to reset them.

Didn't think anything of it until I went to get on my Mac this morning. Last night all was working fine and I shut down (still in a PC mode of thinking I suppose, plus didn't intend to be on it until tomorrow). Hit the power button. Nothing. Huh? Waited a minute and tried again. Notta. I checked and my surge protector is on, speakers have a power light, but no iMac?

Anyway I shut the surge protector off for about a minute, powered back up, and my Mac fired right up. Should I be concerned? Or would you chock it up to a weird hiccup?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As long as you are going through a surge protector and it's a decent one, it should handle those events and your iMac should be unharmed. It's strange that the iMac wouldn't come on but that's probably more due to the surge protector's circuitry restricting the amount of power draw as opposed to the iMac..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remove the surge protector and use it for your stereo amp or something else. Buy a good UPS and use it instead. Surge protectors are pretty much useless against any real power surges such as a nearby lightning strike.

Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Wal-Mart, Target, all sell UPS units of varying cost and VA load.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a bad call. I have an old APC UPS but its not working very well. I may have to buy one...when I can afford a decent one that is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I may have to buy one...when I can afford a decent one that is.

The choice is yours but which can you afford more, a new UPS or a new iMac? ;D

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neither right now...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't know how good they are, but since I started using these I quit going through electronic devices so quickly.
CyberPower - 625VA Battery Back-Up System - CP625HG

I have four of them that I picked up on sale for ~$50 each (though at least one is larger capacity than this 625VA unit).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.