Clear Memory

Reaction score
I have had my Macbook Pro for 5-6 years now and really never deleted a file. Recently I tried to download a new program but couldent do it because I have to little hard drive space, I checked and I had 908MB out of 63GB. As almost all of the files are useless to me, I decided to delete all the files and redownload the programs/files I need.

I tried for myself but it ended with a visit to applestore to fix my Mac :p

so how do I do it?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have had my Macbook Pro for 5-6 years now and really never deleted a file. Recently I tried to download a new program but couldent do it because I have to little memory, I checked and I had 908MB out of 63GB. As almost all of the files are useless to me, I decided to delete all the files and redownload the programs/files I need.

I tried for myself but it ended with a visit to applestore to fix my Mac :p

so how do I do it?
I debated how to answer this, but I think the best advice I can offer is, you don't.

Your question is very similar to "I drove this car for 5 years without doing or learning anything about how to maintain it, then decided one day to start removing parts I didn't think I needed."

You either need to devote the time to learning the basics of how to maintain, repair and operate your Mac, or have someone else do it for you. Since you haven't felt inclined in 5 years to do this you probably aren't of the personality or temperment to truly want to do it now, so why bother.

I would reccomend you put in your budget to upgrade or replace your MacBook every two or three years and go on with enjoying your Mac. When you run out of space or resources you can have a new hard drive installed or replace the system altogether.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried for myself but it ended with a visit to applestore to fix my Mac

You obviously have run out of hard drive SPACE not memory. A new hard drive, reinstall of OS X, and start making backups are all things that you can do.

OP
T
Reaction score
You obviously have run out of hard drive SPACE not memory. A new hard drive, reinstall of OS X, and start making backups are all things that you can do.

so by reinstalling the OS X I clear out the hard drive space?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look closely at my first post; notice I said a new hard drive.... After which you can reinstall OS X. Space is your problem and your old hard drive is, well, old and small. There are plenty of tutorials which show how to install a new hard drive and then copy all your data from the old one to the new one.

OP
T
Reaction score
so there is no other way than either removing the files manualy or replacing the hardrive?
and I recently got a new hardrive but the people that did it made a backup and put everything back.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so there is no other way than either removing the files manualy or replacing the hardrive?
and I recently got a new hardrive but the people that did it made a backup and put everything back.
I think I would still stick with my original recommendation . . . but, did they replace it with a larger Hard Drive, or the same size as before?

OP
T
Reaction score
I think I would still stick with my original recommendation . . . but, did they replace it with a larger Hard Drive, or the same size as before?

Think they said smaller but faster

Cant I just delete some folders?

or delete EVERYTHING and install snow leopard agian? Or is there some files that come with the computer but not snow leopard?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think they said smaller but faster

Cant I just delete some folders?

or delete EVERYTHING and install snow leopard agian? Or is there some files that come with the computer but not snow leopard?

First thing you need to do is to do a back up. External hard drives are cheap, routinely available for well under $100. Use Time Machine and back up all of your files.
Then you can do a reinstall of the OS with erase (wiping out the existing files). This will take you back to day one with your MacBook. You can reinstall from the external drive what you decide you can't live without.

OP
T
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is to do a back up. External hard drives are cheap, routinely available for well under $100. Use Time Machine and back up all of your files.
Then you can do a reinstall of the OS with erase (wiping out the existing files). This will take you back to day one with your MacBook. You can reinstall from the external drive what you decide you can't live without.

ok, thanks! just what I needed :)

Reaction score
Clearing the Memory on I-Mac

So what's the procedure for clearing files and junk from memory or storage on the i-Mac on a regular maintenance basis? I haven't had mine very long so I need to get on a schedule to clear unused items. I used to defrag on a PC but don't know lingo to ask for help on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.