File icons not displaying properly

M

mrgee

:eek:neye:
Hi there,

I have just purchased a new Maxtor one touch external hard drive, and after finding out that I needed to download the latest drivers, I downloaded them from Maxtor website. After unstuffing the file I should of had a package icon but instead all i had was a icon that looked like a piece of paper with the top right corner folded over. When I clicked on the icon nothing happened.

I then asked my mate to download the driver for me then e-mail the unstuffed package, but when he send it to me the attatchment is a folder icon and the size has shrunk from 800kb to around 500kb? my friend can unstuff the download OK and sends the package showing the right icon but changes when i get the e-mail. the file description is the same.

This has happened a few times iover the last couple of months downloading from the Apple website but i just thought it was something wrong on Apples part, but this isn't looking like this now.

I'm running an G4 800mhz i-mac with tiger 10.4.2 and all updates to date. I have run Cocktail to repair permissions also using utilites before downloading the driver. i need the driver because when i plug the hard drive in i get kernel panics, the screen goes dark then tells me to restart by holding the power button down.

heres a pic of the files i'm getting, the ones that look like a piece of paper are incorrect and i can't open them.
I'm now assuming that this problem is system wide when i;m trying to download certain applications to load on my Mac.

The first pic is of the sit file i have downloaded from the Maxtor web site and the top file is the file that has been unstuffed from the sit file, which should be a installer file so i can then install the new Maxtor driver.
I have also rang Apple in London and the guy said it was stuffit that was the problem, and to download a the app again and then try. I have done this and the same happends.

Anybody have any idea's out there?
Cheers for any replies.

screenshot_08.jpg

screenshot_04.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Have your friend unstuffit and the archive it before he emails it.

OP
M

mrgee

MacsWork said:
Have your friend unstuffit and the archive it before he emails it.
yep, he unstuffed the Sit file which turned it into a package installer file (icon like a brown box) then e-mailed it to me.

what do you mean when you say archive it?

OP
M

mrgee

my friend has downloaded the package and brought it over on his memory stick, but when i plugged it in, the package icon has changed to the piece of paper. thus i was not able to open the file.
Also we noticed that none of his word .doc files were displaying the usual icon but showing again the paper icon, therefore not being able to open them. his word .dot files were displaying the correct file icons, and i could open them OK.
I checked my word .doc files on my computer and all are displaying the correct icons and i'm able to open them normally.

It looks like some files that are not created on my computer are not opening, nor displaying the correct icon me think's?

If anyone can shed some light on this i would be most happy.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Repair permissions as root user. Download the 10.4.2 combo installer from Apple and re run it. Then download Tiger Cache Cleaner and rebuild your application prebindings. Re run repair permissions again as root.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I downloaded it here since I have Tiger 10.4.2 installed and it works properly and displays the correct icon.

OP
M

mrgee

MacsWork said:
Repair permissions as root user. Download the 10.4.2 combo installer from Apple and re run it. Then download Tiger Cache Cleaner and rebuild your application prebindings. Re run repair permissions again as root.

Hi there,

Iv'e done as you said above and still no change in displaying the right icons. I can now open the files by right clicking and opening the file using installer, so something has changed and not a hugh problem now, but more annoying as I just can't double click the icon to install the software and also knowing that there is some sort of problem with my mac in displaying the installer files from Apple and any other third party app.

Cheers
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.