Stickies

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew why my new Magic Mouse won't scroll up and down in a stickie note. My old mouse could do this but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Magic Mouse to scroll up and down. For now I'm using the arrow keys to move up and down in a note but it is not as convenient as just scrolling.
Its obviously not a big issue but I'm very curious as to why it's not working for me. I use them all the time and would love to be able to correct this, if possible.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Malone!

Can you scroll using the Magic Mouse in other applications like your internet browser or does the same issue occur there?

Cheers
- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Perhaps your Stickies plist file (com.apple.stickies.plist) is corrupt. To find out, move it to the Desktop, then open Stickies again. This creates a new one. You'll find it in HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi toMACsh, I would like to try this but will it erase all of the stickies I have now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
No it won't plist is the properties list and just a file containing data on how the app should act, not your actual user data.
"Property list files are often used to store a user's settings. They are also used to store information about bundles and applications"

- Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, I did exactly as you recommended but it didn't work. I did close the app. first and found the file and moved it to the desktop and then opened stickies again. Thanks for your help, it was certainly worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next step: log in under a different user account. If you don't have one, go to System Preferences > Accounts and create one to use just for situations like this. Then try Stickies and see what happens.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi toMACsh,
I did as you suggested but that also didn't work. I tried googling this issue too but I couldn't find anything on it at all either. Very strange. I really appreciate you tying to help.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next thing to try: Download Pacifist (free) and use it to extract the Stickies app from your installation disc. Reinstall Stickies and try again. I think there's a Stickies database file somewhere that you can save on a flash drive to restore what you have in there now. I can look on my Mac later for where I found it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks toMACsh, I wait for more info before I try it. Getting into more in depth info now, a little nervous.....
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find a StickiesDatabase file in my Home/Library folder. Home=HD/Users/MyUserName

I'm not 100% certain that saving that will preserve all your Stickies, that is, allow you to overwrite the new file with your current one. In fact, I just opened it in TextEdit. It doesn't look like that is its purpose. Maybe someone else knows where your actual notes are saved...

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks toMACsh for trying to help me, It sounds a little advanced for me, I guess I'll have to live with it for now, but will keep my eyes open for possible solutions.
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, in the meantime, you can place your cursor in the note and use the arrow keys, right?

Reaction score
Scrolling in Stickies

This is on and slightly off topic -- I've for years wanted to be able to scroll in Stickies, but have never had that capability. I did some research and learned there might be a way to enable scrolling in Stickies through a change in the app's program files using the Terminal. I have never been brave enough to try that, but something strange -- and wonder, Hal -- happened today. I installed an older Microsoft Optical Mouse 2.0 that I'm using with my MacBook Pro now. Even though it wasn't necessary, I downloaded the Microsoft mouse software for the Mac (Microsoft IntelliPoint and IntelliType Pro 8.0.1 Software for Macintosh) and installed it. Well, I was just mousing around and inadvertantly scrolled with a Stickies note and the text moved -- or scrolled! I've been look for that for years, and installing this MicroSnot (had to get one in) piece of software enabled Stickies scrolling. I haven't had time to try the scrolling without the mouse being attached to the MacBook via wireless/USB, so I don't know if the scrolling will work with the MacBook's trackpad, but I suspect it won't. But at least I can now scroll when the MS mouse is present and its software is in control. Thx.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I can still use the arrow keys for scrolling..... I was wondering if anyone with a magic mouse is able to scroll in stickies or is it just me (maybe others too).
Before I upgraded to the Magic mouse I was able to scroll in stickies :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is on and slightly off topic -- I've for years wanted to be able to scroll in Stickies, but have never had that capability. I did some research and learned there might be a way to enable scrolling in Stickies through a change in the app's program files using the Terminal.

Well, I have a scroll wheel on my mouse (from Matias) which, in general, doesn't function very well. But, I can get it to scroll in Stickies. It's just too finicky to make using it worthwhile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.