• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel Launching Next Generation MacBook Air Processors

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This along with TB will make the next MBA a scorcher.

Indeed! The current MBI is already fast enough to do everything I need out of it...somehow. I just hope they don't jack up the price of the i5 offering. The piggybank is about to bust from our tax return...but I can wait for the i5+TB to come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
These processors could make the MB obsolete. Apple would just go with the MBA+MBP lines. The MBP being the really upgradable ones and the MBA not so upgradable. Just to differentiate the 2 lines. The MBA is pretty much better than the MB is all ways bar hard drive space these days. Slower cpu but the SSD makes it fly so yeah the speed overall is better.

Others have pointed it out too. That the genera feeling with the popularity of the MBA these days might spell the end for the MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
These processors could make the MB obsolete. Apple would just go with the MBA+MBP lines. The MBP being the really upgradable ones and the MBA not so upgradable. Just to differentiate the 2 lines. The MBA is pretty much better than the MB is all ways bar hard drive space these days. Slower cpu but the SSD makes it fly so yeah the speed overall is better.

Others have pointed it out too. That the genera feeling with the popularity of the MBA these days might spell the end for the MB.

Couldn't agree more. But I don't think we'll see that day come until SSD capacity grows and prices drop. Then... it will happen for sure.

Doug

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
id be too scared i was going to break the thing. i like my laptop to have a bit of substance. minimising everything isnt always the best thing.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Couldn't agree more. But I don't think we'll see that day come until SSD capacity grows and prices drop. Then... it will happen for sure.

Doug

I don't know if you knew this, but the price of large ssd's have been cut by almost half due to the recent upgrade to small nanometer chips. the ~480-500gb ssd's price dropped to $900 from their regular price of close to $1800-$1900. And that's for the best, mass-consumer grade SSD you can buy. You can check OWC for the new prices. I expect the price to trickle down to smaller ssd's soon too.

Reaction score
Hi,

The strange thing is that Mac Rumors talks up the Core i5 2537m, which actually was launched back in February and is already used in the Samsung series 9. In a review, CNET Asia determines the performance to be about the same as the current MBA 13". Fudzilla writes about the i7 2657M as the top model. According to the Intel site, this one was also launched in Q1, but I can't find reviews of laptops that are actually shipping with this processor. It has the same 17W TDP, integrated graphics etc launch price $317. Clock speed is 1.6GHz, with one variation (the 2617M at 1.5GHz for $289).

There are a couple of considerations about these processors. On their own, they consume more than the current 10W processor in the MBA 11". That may mean the laptop could become hotter, even if the 20W NVidia 320M can be removed, because the heat is more localised in one spot instead of in 2 chips. Also, the price (particularly of the 2657M) is quite high. Add to that a bigger SSD and we'll probably see much more capable, but much more expensive MBAs.

As for the impact on the Apple notebook range, I can't see Apple pulling out of the market segment around $1000. I expect them to launch a new but rather low spec 11" and a more expensive one, like they have now, but with a much bigger step between the two models. For example, the baseline one could be the i5 with a 128GB SSD and the higher end one would have a 256GB SSD with an i7 option (say, the 2617M). The 13" would get this processor by default, maybe adding a more powerful graphics accelerator (but that's really speculation). The higher end 13" has the option of upgrading to the 2657M. If Apple gets good prices on their components, this could mean the end of the white MacBook, because these new MBAs will whip its pants.

I certainly hope that all models will be able to take at least 8GB.

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
id be too scared i was going to break the thing. i like my laptop to have a bit of substance. minimising everything isnt always the best thing.

Oh you couldn't be farther off. I've had my MBA for 2 years now and its a tank. Its not as HEAVY as a regular laptop, but its every bit as sturdy. I've stepped on it, dropped it, kept it in my trunk to bang around with golf clubs, thrown my backpack full of textbooks and it around, and generally mistreated the **** out of it, without any durability issues whatsoever.

Whenever somebody asks me if they can check it out they always pick it up really carefully like its made of thin glass, and are shocked when I sort of toss it to them and tell them not to worry about breaking it. I guess I understand how the misconception could persist that its delicate because its so small, but that is absolutely a misconception.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Chris just don't treat an iphone/itouch/ipad like that or it will break.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hi,

The strange thing is that Mac Rumors talks up the Core i5 2537m, which actually was launched back in February and is already used in the Samsung series 9.

That comparison is rather useless. It wouldn't be the first time the same chip runs slower on a "PC" than a mac, or in this case, a faster chip runs "just as fast" as a slower chip utilized on the mac. It should be faster just on data retrieving alone. If the current Air's are sufficient enough for most people to use as a daily computer, the new one should be even better.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Oh you couldn't be farther off. I've had my MBA for 2 years now and its a tank. Its not as HEAVY as a regular laptop, but its every bit as sturdy. I've stepped on it, dropped it, kept it in my trunk to bang around with golf clubs, thrown my backpack full of textbooks and it around, and generally mistreated the **** out of it, without any durability issues whatsoever.

Whenever somebody asks me if they can check it out they always pick it up really carefully like its made of thin glass, and are shocked when I sort of toss it to them and tell them not to worry about breaking it. I guess I understand how the misconception could persist that its delicate because its so small, but that is absolutely a misconception.

lol, you need to look after your expensive gear better!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.