Lock desktop icon position? and allocate icon space?

Reaction score
Is there a way to lock desktop icon position? I like keeping my icons aligned (not along the grid) and i hate it, though rarely, when I accidentally drag the folder when I try to open it :/ Using just the keyboard to open the folders is a solution, but still..I want to know if there's a better solution.

Also, is there a way to allocate icon space? So when new icons go onto my desktop or when I mount images, they all go to the area of the desktop I assigned? By default, they all go to the right hand side, but that will unfortunately cover my calendar and weather gizmo :(. I want all new icons to go to the bottom right hand corner, and it becomes tedious to keep on doing this with everything. I know these are just little things, and I'm probably just being pedantic or lazy, but it can't hurt to have things that'll make this easier, would it? :)

f4I61.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't know of a way to do either of the things you're asking. Icons are always going to be subject to operator actions, and position is not "lockable". And, yeah, new ones always go on the right side, just like with Windows, they all go on the left. Obviously, Apple got this one "right". ;) You just have to move them manually, which would be a pain if you could lock their position.

Why not use Snap to Grid?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.