Just got my first mac - user name question

Reaction score
I'm fairly tech savvy and have been using and supporting Windows PCs for about 15 years. Last week I bought a Mac Mini. My main rationale was that I bought my wife an iPad in September 2010 and it triggered a whole slew of Apple purchases - iPad for me a month later, Airport extreme and Express to provide better network coverage in our home, and finally two iPhones once they came available on Verizon. Each purchase was a positive experience. I didn't need a new computer, but last week my Windows 7 install bombed out to the level I needed to reinstall fresh, a repair had already failed to fix some pretty bad OS level issues. So I decided if I was going to have to reinstall all my apps from scratch I might just try making the switch. So anyway, I brought home a Mac Mini and have been enjoying it so far.

But I do have a question. When I set it up at some point it pulled in my full name (I think from my Apple ID) and I just left it because I wasn't sure what it was pulling it in FOR. But it ended up using that as the computer name and even though I've renamed the computer and my ID it still shows up as my public folder on other machines on the network.

I.e. lets say for example my name is Johnathon Smith but I always go by JJ. I renamed my user ID to JJ and renamed the computer to something that relates to a team name I like. But on my other machines I still see Johnathon Smith's Public Folder instead of JJ's Public folder.

Is there any way to fix this? Its minor I know but it annoys me.

Any way, thanks in advance!

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks... ended up not having to do any of that. I had already changed my user name through the OS without elevated privileges. On a guess, I unshared the public folder and re-shared it. When I re-shared it, the name was right. Nit picky I know, but I'm glad its fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.