• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple granted patent for DisplayPort/Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 dock connector

Reaction score
Apple granted patent for DisplayPort/Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 dock connector

6a0120a5580826970c014e87436d15970d-800wi.jpg

Apple has been granted a patent for a new type of dock connector, discovered by PatentlyApple. The new dock connector is a "hybrid DisplayPort/USB 3.0 high speed connector. This new and extremely slim connector will work on all iOS devices like the iPod and eventually work its way through Apple's entire hardware lineup," according to the patent-tracking site. While Apple typically files patents for technologies that never see the light of day, PatentlyApple speculates that this new dock connector could be unveiled later this year or in 2012 when Apple adds USB 3.0 ports to their Mac computers.

The patent also suggests that future iOS devices may have Thunderbolt connections since a DisplayPort and Thunderbolt connection are physically similar. Apple added Thunderbolt to the latest MacBook Pros and it's widely expected that all Macs introduced from now on will sport the new port. A combined Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 connector would cover the Mac and PC spectrum -- while all newer Macs are likely to have Thunderbolt ports, most mid-level to low-end PCs will probably only sport USB 3.0 ports.

[via MacRumors]

Apple granted patent for DisplayPort/Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 dock connector originally appeared on TUAW on Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:40:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The inclusion of USB 3 ports at the very least is amazingly great news! Given that Thunderbolt peripherals are for the most part non existent, and even when they do arrive, will likely be fairly expensive, having USB 3 is a sure shot in terms of being widely spread. I'm glad to hear that Apple is being this reasonable.

Doug

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody else think that these docking stations with their big connectors are clumsy ? I always thought it was weird to see colleagues carefully position their laptops on big plastic slabs, to then carefully slide them towards a big threatening connector. The trade-off seems to be a fairly clean desk in return for a large pile of cash. With a few cable guides, the same clutterless desk can be accomplished without any money at all.

Just my €0,02.

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi,

Does anybody else think that these docking stations with their big connectors are clumsy ? I always thought it was weird to see colleagues carefully position their laptops on big plastic slabs, to then carefully slide them towards a big threatening connector. The trade-off seems to be a fairly clean desk in return for a large pile of cash. With a few cable guides, the same clutterless desk can be accomplished without any money at all.

Just my €0,02.

Peter.

This isn't a laptop docking station. Apple doesn't make those. This is the dock connector that is used by the iOS device cables.

Reaction score
Hi Schweb,

I see. On the other hand, the article also mentions:

... and it's widely expected that all Macs introduced from now on will sport the new port

It would be strange to have this port AND all standard ports individually without a very good reason, like docking. I can't think of other reasons, but maybe there is another good reason to add this port anyway.

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi Schweb,

I see. On the other hand, the article also mentions:

It would be strange to have this port AND all standard ports individually without a very good reason, like docking. I can't think of other reasons, but maybe there is another good reason to add this port anyway.

Peter.

The "port" would be the display/USB3/Thunderbolt port. Like it already has but just add USB 3 to the same port. This has nothing to do with docking stations.

If you've ever seen or have an iOS device cable, the one is the dock connector (which is what you're seeing in the picture in the article), the other end is the USB connector. The USB connector would just be replaced by something that looks like a current display/Thunderbolt connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If this one port is USB/TB and whatever else I'm sure the end hooked to the Mac will be a proprietary connector. Meaning we'll have to buy a special cable if we want to use the port for USB or whatever.

And I'm not 100% sure if Apple want to enter the cable business or not. But if the end is proprietary like the ipod cable is then that'a more money to Apple for a new cable. That's why I like standard ports. Then I can buy a cheaper cable to do the job. Not Apple's overpriced ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.