Are all Mac Pro's 64 Bit?

Reaction score
With news of Apple's Mac OS X Lion being 64 Bit only, and my iMac being 32 Bit, 5 years old, and how I am an iOS Dev. I want to purchase a Mac Pro from eBay. But first would like to know if every Mac Pro is 64 Bit. I want to go for a Mac Pro because I have multiple monitors and one is currently running off of USB which gets laggy, but if I would get better performance or a better performance to money ratio with a different mac (iMac, MacBook, ect.), please let me know.

Thanks
-Park My Car

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm fairly certain they are. However, one of our Mac Pro experts should be along to answer soon enough.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A somewhat confusing question to new Mac users.

Mac Pro first gen, 1.1, are 64 bit for sure, BUT they have a 32 bit EFI, or Boot Rom, and will run accordingly. What will happen with OS X.7 Lion's release? Maybe, and it is a pretty big maybe, the EFI will be updated to 64 bit. If you do a Google on making a 1.1 Mac Pro 64 bit there are work arounds.

http://ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
A somewhat confusing question to new Mac users.

Mac Pro first gen, 1.1, are 64 bit for sure, BUT they have a 32 bit EFI, or Boot Rom, and will run accordingly. What will happen with OS X.7 Lion's release? Maybe, and it is a pretty big maybe, the EFI will be updated to 64 bit. If you do a Google on making a 1.1 Mac Pro 64 bit there are work arounds.

Startup Mode Selector

Wow, reading up on this stuff, It seems to be a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot that Apple has created with the 32bit EFI situation. My gut is telling me that Apple will not cut off all the users with systems even as new as 2010 that apparently cannot (or won't) run 64bit Snow Leopard but who knows what their support model will truly be.

Everymac.com list of systems EFI version

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That link was quite helpful. There is a link in there to an App called "Startup Selector" that will tell you what your machine is running now (32 or 64) and will allow you to boot to either.

While my Macbook will only boot in 32, my iMac WILL boot in 64 and runs quite a bit faster than it does in 32 AND utilizes RAM far more effectively for everyday use. For example, in 32 bit mode my machine used an average of 3Gb or RAM for the OS, Mail, Safari and other background Apps I always run. In 64 bit mode it's averaging a bit over 1Gb of RAM use for the same Apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.