"falled to initialize renderer" when trying to play Fallout New Vegas Boot Camp

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, I installed windows 7 in bootcamp on my new Imac today, and I just finished installing Fallout New Vegas. Once I click play however, it gives me this error message. "Failed to initialize renderer." Does anyone know what might be wrong, or possibly how to fix this issue?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you install the Boot Camp support software in Windows following Windows 7 setup?

That would have either been a disc you were prompted to burn during Boot Camp Assistant, or from your OS X disc while running in Windows.

And if you've done that - you might want to run Apple Software Update from within Windows to get everything up to date.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah, neither of these seem to be the problem, I don't really know what to do. I google'd hard to try to find solutions to this but other people with the problem didn't seem to have a solution either :/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, neither of these seem to be the problem, I don't really know what to do. I google'd hard to try to find solutions to this but other people with the problem didn't seem to have a solution either :/

OK, just to be clear - you did, or did not install the driver package? A lot of people miss this step, or assume that just because everything's working, they don't need to do it.

But when you go to run a high-end game like this that beats on the hardware pretty well, you need to make sure you have appropriate drivers, particularly for the video card.

OP
P
Reaction score
If I put my snow leopard install disc in while in Windows 7 on boot camp will I be able to install them from that? I don't know if it helps any but I just had windows rate my PC's performance and Processor was rated 7 out of 7.9 but it rated my graphics and gaming graphics are 1.0. There's no way that is correct because I have an ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB that came default with my Imac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I put my snow leopard install disc in while in Windows 7 on boot camp will I be able to install them from that? I don't know if it helps any but I just had windows rate my PC's performance and Processor was rated 7 out of 7.9 but it rated my graphics and gaming graphics are 1.0. There's no way that is correct because I have an ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB that came default with my Imac.

Right - because you don't have a video driver installed, so as far as Windows is concerned, you have no hardware video acceleration :)

This is why I asked you if you installed the Boot Camp Support software... and also why the game's rendering engine can't start.

Yes, pop in your OS X disc while running Windows. Open the disc and run the setup. Once it's done, run Apple Software Update from the Start menu and allow it to install all the latest updates. Then you should be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.