Updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
I have had my new iMac only about 10 days, still learning I have always used PC and after just playing around with this thing if I can master it I will never return to a PC! My question is a small window came up on my screen and said that they were updates ready for my computer, (I always hated that with the PC) of course it shows what they are so should I download them and will they automatically install themselves? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In general, the  software updates are either version of OS, application, firmware and security updates.
Their is no need for concern when installing them, and they will install themselves in the right locations.
They don't come up anywhere near as often as Windows' annoying updates.

When you get a new Mac, it is advised to keep clicking software update over and over until there is nothing left.
After that, you can set  software updater to check for updates manually, daily, weekly, etc.

I have had mine set for many years to do so daily, and have never had a problem with it.

M

MacInWin

To check for Apple updates, click on the apple icon in the upper left, then choose "Software update..." A progress box will open and you will see it checking for any updates from Apple. Once it is done, it will tell you whether or not there are updates and you can then decide what to do about them. I usually just go ahead and install, but it's up to you.

When the window message you are seeing opens what updates does it list?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys I know I will have a lot of questions, hopefully everyone will have patience with me, I'm almost 56 now and this is my new hobby, just got out of rc airplanes, just could not do that anymore. Thanks again.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In general, the  software updates are either version of OS, application, firmware and security updates.
Their is no need for concern when installing them, and they will install themselves in the right locations.
They don't come up anywhere near as often as Windows' annoying updates.

When you get a new Mac, it is advised to keep clicking software update over and over until there is nothing left.
After that, you can set  software updater to check for updates manually, daily, weekly, etc.

I have had mine set for many years to do so daily, and have never had a problem with it.

Where do I set the software updater at, where is it located?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
>system preferences>software update>scheduled check :)

C

chas_m

As 6String pointed out, you can chance the update frequency to less often, but be aware that the less often you check, the more likely there will be an update! :)

Having said that, Apple doesn't normally do a lot of updates, I think I see an AVERAGE of one a month -- and this is not generally a system or security update, it's an update to one of my pre-installed Apple Apps (like iTunes) which generally brings new features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.