New iMac & Apple TV - iTunes Issue w/ 2 users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, Snow Loepard, iMac 21.5"
Bought my iMac about 1.5 months ago. Bought Apple TV about 2 weeks ago. I understand Apple TV will let you only stream from 1 library on the computer, however, I have 2 libraries I would like to add. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to combine the libraries, which are from 2 different user names. Tell me if the is possible and the most efficient way:

If I put my girlfriends (she has her own mac username) library in her Drop Box and restore her iTunes to pull music to populate her library from her Drop Box folder, can I also add her drop box folder to my iTunes library under my mac username?

This seems fairly simple, but I don't want do to it and then have to switch things back if it won't work.

Thanks

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are under 2 different usernames. Let's uncomplicate things. Can I share her music collection with username via dropbox on her username? Can I add her dropbox folder to my itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Usernames don't matter. You can share multiple AppleIDs under the same homesharing name. That's how we have ours done here. It's why homeshare exists.

Far less complicated than your Dropbox approach.

Give it a try before thinking it won't work.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This won't work. Her iTunes account is under her email address. My iTunes account is under my email address. ATV will only allow 1 library to be synced with the device. Unless I am not understanding this. Also, both home sharing is turned on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sign into homesharing using the same AppleID, that doesn't impact the AppleID on your library.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, So simple. Got it! Thx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, So simple. Got it! Thx.

No problem. It is a little confusing and honestly Apple needs to rethink the way they present the HomeShare sign-in since people can confuse joining a home share with switching AppleIDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.