Choosing RAM w/ processor on MBP

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on whether I should choose a 13" MBP with either the i5 or the i7 processor. (To get the most bang for my buck.)

Ideally I would also like to upgrade the RAM up to 8GB from the get-go.

My questions are,

1. If I choose the i5 processor and upgrade the RAM to 8GB, will it "act" the same as one with the i7 processor with 4GB?

2. Will the 8GB on the i5 be too much for it to handle (too big of a truck for a smaller engine)?

3. Should I choose the 13" MBP with an i5 processor and stock 4GB of RAM- and wait to upgrade both the RAM and processor in the future- which should I upgrade first, the RAM up to 8GB or the i5 up to the i7?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can't upgrade the processor. Only RAM and storage space (HDD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Plus you can get the Ram for probably half the price after you buy the machine, from a 3rd party company like OWC or Crucial.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Can't upgrade the processor. Only RAM and storage space (HDD).

You can choose a 2.3ghz i5 or a 2.7ghz i7. Both dual core.

I can't see what the price difference is for the 2 (apple store is down) but i suppose it really comes down to what your going to use your computer for. Ram upgrades and HDD upgrades always provide the best bang for buck but processors aren't easily changed unless it's at the time of purchase.

I just bought a new MBP and i was looking at the 13" i ended up going for the 15" because I was able to get the high res screen and its Quad core. I've changed the HDD out to a hybrid HDD (500gb 7200rm Momentus XT) which made a big difference and only cost 138AUD. I'm soon to upgrade to 8gb ram also.

If you have your heart set on a 13" then go for the better processor then upgrade the ram and HDD overtime yourself, its generally far cheaper and is very easy to change over.

Reaction score
Hi Emanuel,

1. If I choose the i5 processor and upgrade the RAM to 8GB, will it "act" the same as one with the i7 processor with 4GB?

Depends on what you want to do. If your work involves a lot of number crunching, the i7 will probably be better. If it involves large files (photo, video), more memory will be better.

2. Will the 8GB on the i5 be too much for it to handle (too big of a truck for a smaller engine)?

No, exactly the opposite is the case. The i5 with more memory will go faster if your work involves large files. The i7 with less memory will go slower, because it won't have sufficient memory.

The system is a bit like a pipeline:

Hard disk (very slow) --> memory (faster) --> i5/i7 (very fast)

The more memory you have, the less the i5/i7 has to wait for its data. With less memory, the i5/i7 has to get its data from the hard disk, which is slower.

3. Should I choose the 13" MBP with an i5 processor and stock 4GB of RAM- and wait to upgrade both the RAM and processor in the future- which should I upgrade first, the RAM up to 8GB or the i5 up to the i7?

Except in the case where you have to edit a lot of very big files now, it is usually more cost effective to upgrade the RAM later. As others have said, you can't upgrade the processor. So if you have to make a choice, go for the i7 and postpone the memory upgrade. If I would be in the market for an MBP, I'd go for both :) (As a matter of fact, the 4GB limitation of the MBA is one of the reasons I'm holding out buying one.)

Peter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.