Looking to upgrade to an Intel iMac

Reaction score
Hi

So I currently own an iMac G5 (1.9Ghz iSight model, 250GB HDD, 1.5GB RAM, 17" Screen.) which I use as my primary desktop machine. I also own a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop (17" Screen, 400GB HDD, BD-RE Drive, Nvidia GeForce 8400M, Core2Duo 2.50Ghz).

I would like to get rid of both of these, and in turn buy a newer iMac with an Intel processor. The new iMac doesn't need to be super powerful, just quick enough to run new software (since my PPC iMac can't handle anything!).

How realistic is it that I could sell both and have almost enough money to buy an adequate Intel iMac.

Thanks for your time

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How realistic is it that I could sell both and have almost enough money to buy an adequate Intel iMac.

I'm certainly no expert on used computers but it's my educated guess that even if you could sell both at a fair market price, you would still have a ways to go to buy a decent iMac. Assuming you're thinking new, not used.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I don't necessarily need a brand new iMac, just a decent second hand model with a good Intel processor. After quickly looking in the Buy Sell Trade forum here, I found this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/buy-sell-trade/233441-imac-c2d-2ghz-4gb-ram-250gb-hd.html

It sold for $700, which in my currency works out at £430. That is a very good price, and that machine would've been perfectly adequate for what I need, but I don't seem to be able to find any on eBay for that price. I already have a buyer for my iMac G5 who are willing to give me £250 for it, which would mean I would need to get £200 for my laptop, or front the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I just bought my first Mac on eBay and it was a few hundred cheaper than the apple.com list price (not counting the upgraded RAM). It is great for what we do; that is everyday tasks plus light iPhoto editing. I feel confident that I could do a lot more with what we have and be fine. Money was a big concern for me as well, I definitely did not try to break the bank.
In hindsight, I guess I would have been happier with 3.2i3, for more breathing room down the road.
What you buy really depends on what software you plan to use, but the intro level has served me fine these past few months.
HTH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Also, yo u could check the used Mac store at apple.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.