Tried Clean Install- Now have blank CPU and can't install OS

Reaction score
Hello,
After receiving a used Mac Book Air with all of its old contents still on the HD, I wanted to do a clean install. I rebooted from an apple USB containing Snow Leopard Back Up software. Using Disk Utility, I deleted the contents of the HD. When trying to then install the software, I get the error message "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer." Now when I boot up the computer, I get a blank screen with a question mark, and I can't install the system software from the USB.

Of note: the USB with the backup software actually came with a newer Mac Book Air, and did not come with this one. Any advice is much appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Of note: the USB with the backup software actually came with a newer Mac Book Air, and did not come with this one. Any advice is much appreciated!

It won't work. You need the original backup software or the original DVD and the special optical drive for the Air. Contact Apple customer support.

OP
C
Reaction score
Surprisingly, the person from whom I got the computer was able to locate the grey back up DVDs that came with it.:)

Will I now be able to install the software? (Haven't tried yet as I haven't received the DVDs yet) Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Nope. Gray disks are machine specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yep, if they are definitely the discs that it came with, and you have access to the Air USB superdrive. :)

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

Oh I misread it, yeah, if they the disks that came with that machine and not your friends MBA.

as for the SuperDrive, you don't necessarily need it if you have access to another Mac that has a drive you can install over the network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.