Almost bought an iMac today....

Reaction score
Hi all! My 4th PC in 5 years is on the brink of death, so I thought "enough is enough, I'm getting an iMac". So I went to my nearest Apple store, credit card in hand, and only 1 question in mind: will I be able to sign into my iTunes account on the new iMac and find all the iPhone apps I've purchased still there. The answer is the reason I'm on this site. I was told under no uncertain terms that if I plugged my iPhone into the new iMac my iPhone would restore to factory settings and I would lose EVERYTHING! Photos, contacts, apps - the lot, and would have to repurchase all the apps. OR I could pay £80 ($130 for those of you in the US) for One to One membership and they would transfer all the iTunes content to the new iMac. £80 for the transfer is bad enough, but it's a 100 mile round trip to my nearest Apple store, and to have to drag my PC there, and then drag the PC and the iMac back to the car ( a good 15 min walk) is no go as far as I'm concerned. I've never had to transfer purchases to my other PCs before, was the guy giving me wrong information?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not bothered about the music, I still buy CDs and then transfer them in to iTunes (I'm just an old fashioned guy!), my only concern is my iPhone data. As I said, with my pc swaps I definitely didn't have to transfer data, just downloaded iTunes, signed in using my ID & password and as far as I can remember everything was there for me. If I backed iTunes up from my PC to a DVD would it also back up the iPhone apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your iPhone data is contained in the iTunes library, including the Apps. Follow what the link says.

For the record, if you do lose or accidentally delete an app you only have to go back to the App store on iTunes and re-download it. You don't have to purchase it again, it's free. Apps are not like music. That is assuming the UK store is the same as the US store in this regard.

OP
J
Reaction score
Many thanks baggss. Just disappointed I didnt get the iMac there and then. The guy in the Apple Store really put me off! But there's no way I'm getting another PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
That was me a few weeks back. I'd had a lot of PCs, built several, and was generally disappointed in them. So I switched. Yeah me! Bit of a learning curve but I'm quite happy.

OP
J
Reaction score
So you're finding the switch ok Phacade? I must admit I've been a little apprehensive about how different a mac is from a pc, but there again, I've never used a mac so it's just fear of the unknown!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
I find it incredibly relaxing. True I did (almost immediately) switch on my right-mouse key, but its a very refined method of computing. I'm loving the silence of it....and it just works. Its great. You won't be disappointed.

You, my friend, need a Mac.

Reaction score
You won't loose everything. It should ask you if you want to sync it with this different library or something similar and if you say no you won't loose anything. No point in paying for them to do work you can do yourself. Just hook up Home Sharing and import your library to your new iMac. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.