G5 PowerPC keeps powering down??.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 2005. 6.5 GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8. Macbook 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, 2 GB, OS X 10.5.8
Today my Mac keeps powering down. 3 times so far...
can't see anything obvious. machine doesn't seem hot, in fact it seems slightly cooler than normal. plugs are all fully pushed in etc...
Probably had about 4 programs running at the time.
only thing that has changed today is i have just changed the modem (which can't have anything to do with this) and the display settings (again can't see why that would do anything)
Otherwise the machine is just as it always has been. fans all seem to be running fine
any suggestions anyone?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You need to find an App that allows you to monitor the temperature of the machine. I recommend Temperature Monitor/Temperature Monitor Lite. G5s are some what notorious for having heat issues.

What kind of machine is this btw?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 2005. 6.5 GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8. Macbook 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, 2 GB, OS X 10.5.8
thanks for getting back to me.
i have downloaded the temperature monitor and although it is giving me 7 different readings from around the machine the only ones which give a specified upper limit are the CPU A and B.
having watched them they do fluctuate by nearly 2 degrees so i guess it could have hit the upper limit and shut down. is that what happens?
if so what is best to do? - give it a clean - it looks fairly dusty in there which can't help....
my machine specs as per the specs listed to the side <-
cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
i have downloaded the temperature monitor and although it is giving me 7 different readings from around the machine the only ones which give a specified upper limit are the CPU A and B.
having watched them they do fluctuate by nearly 2 degrees so i guess it could have hit the upper limit and shut down. is that what happens?
if so what is best to do? - give it a clean - it looks fairly dusty in there which can't help....
cheers

Yes. Give it a cleaning first thing. Just simple stuff like that can do wonders for a Computer. Especially if it seems that you're having heat issues, and it's dusty in there. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pay particular attention to the front inlet which is quite prone to gathering dust and remove the graphics card and make sure it is clean and the fan , if fitted, is operating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers

CPU temps are what you ant to look at. A 2% fluctuation is perfectly fine and you can see that at idle as room temp changes, but I'm wondering what the numbers are? 165F 180F, 200F, 210F? Please let us know.

I recently gave up on my Quad G5 PPC PowerMac because of temperature issues. About 202 seemed to be the upper limit before it would turn off. When it turns off does it shut downs or do the fans kick into High gear and the screen goes blank?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'll give the dust a bit of a clean today....
watching the temps for a while yesterday it actually ranged between 41c'ish up to around 70c'ish. upper limit is 76c (168f)and it was around 68c (155f)yesterday when i first started checking - after it had been on all day.
the fans fairly often kick up a gear but normally only briefly - probably once every hour or so

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, it's not likely a heat issue then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display
just as a reference for you i've just checked the stats for my G5 & with just regular browsing that im doing at the moment both my CPU's are showing around 63 degrees :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i keep the readings display on screen for the last couple of days and machine seems to be around 45degrees at turn on then generally sits around 63. but it often starts to rise up to just into the 70's then is cuts out at 77degrees. but it only happened once today..
although now the internet has stopped working??
i have checked the cable on my laptop and it is fine. The CPU's block the view of where the cable goes.
Anyone know of what else it could be? Have tried to fix through network diagnostics but nothing
feels like my machine is beginning to fall apart :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.