Why can't Airport Extreme card see DLink networks?

Reaction score
Sorry to be thick, I've pored over forums and still stuck.

iMac G5 came without Airport Extreme card but is now installed. Symbol is greyed out and can't see any wifi networks - I have DLink router which iPad, iPhone, iPod, netbook etc can all see fine. iMac can connect only using ethernet cable but I'm close to garrotting myself with wires!!

Tried HomePlugs but couldn't connect that way - could be a wiring issue or could be my settings...

In Sys Prefs it says card is 'on' but I get connection timeout when it fails to find any networks. I've tried to force it to find the network but it says the password is invalid - it isn't.

I know I'm stupid - can I reset anything in the DLink set-up that might make the Mac connect? Desperate not to lose connection for the other things.

I get this in system profiler -
AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)
Wireless Card Locale: Unknown
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

Help please!! Thanks so much

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you remember to connect the airport antenna wire to the Airport Extreme card when the Airport Extreme card was installed?

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back to me. I thought I did everything right when I installed but I think I'd better log out and try one last time before saying 'yes' - "I'll be back".
Becky

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for coming back to me. I thought I did everything right when I installed but I think I'd better log out and try one last time before saying 'yes' - "I'll be back".
Becky

It's rare...but sometimes folks forget to plug that wire into the Airport Extreme card.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Sadly all seemed to be in order internally - I took out the card, snapped it back in and re-attached the antenna.

What I find strange is all the other wifi devides pick up several wifi signals round here, the AirPort card can't find any at all which makes me think it's either a duff card or something in my settings I can't find that's at fault - surely it should find my neighbours' signals?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I find strange is all the other wifi devides pick up several wifi signals round here, the AirPort card can't find any at all which makes me think it's either a duff card or something in my settings...

That was going to be my next question. Did you buy this card new or used...and if used...how do you know that it works?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What router # do you have?
I use a DIR-628. Every time I add a new device to my network, I've had to go into the Network Settings App that came with it to give permission to that new device. I currently have a MBP, iPad, 2 iPhone 4s, and a Wii wirelessly connected. A Windows Desktop and a Panasonic plasma TV connected via ethernet cables. All work fine, no issues so it's probably not the router.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for replies.

The card - I don't know that it works for sure, except it was sold to me as new by the guy who sold me the iMac and I met him when I collected the Mac, he seemed a trustworthy sort and kept in touch but that was a couple of months back.

The router - I've never had to change any settings when we've added additional bits of kit and I'd be unsure how to do so - the old 192.168.0.1 website is rocky at best and I'm not sure how to change things without losing all my settings.

thanks anyway.

iMac OSX10.5.8, new iPhone, iPad, router is DIR615

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Apple System Profiler, About this Mac, Network > Airport and see what is reported there.

OP
N
Reaction score
As in OP, this is the only stuff under system profiler > AirPort card:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)
Wireless Card Locale: Unknown
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

When I originally installed, the system knew the card was there and ran me through the wizard, but now the card can't see out, it's imprisoned in its white iMac box - I might try taking it to the local Apple store who've offered to see if it will connect to their system before I start paying for new cards or expert help - it's just I have to travel 40 miles to take this route so if there's anything simple I can do first I will..

Thanks for the help - it's so frustrating when something that's supposed to be plug-and-play goes complicated like this.

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I've got the same (or a very similar) problem....

Hi!

I've got an old Power Mac G5 with a newish Airport Extreme card installed, and Profiler gives me the same results as you originally posted.

I self-installed the card, but there was no antenna cable to attach(?). In my searching, all the implications and specs tell me that in the Airport Extreme the antenna is built-in, internally. Is that correct?

I'm trying to set it up to talk to my ISP's wireless router, but I can't get it to even "see" the router, let alone connect to it. I've tried adjusting the wireless settings on the ISP's router--could the fact that I'm using WPA2 with AES be too "modern" for it? (I don't see why. The Extreme card came out after these security settings were commonly available.) Maybe my 2.4GHz phone's base station is interfering? Again, I don't see it as the computer and ISP's router are pretty much side-by-side.....

Looking for any considered advice that anyone can supply.

TIA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.