• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
That's tragic. No Apple (or any other brand) product will ever be worth dying for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I have trouble feeling bad for criminals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't feel sorry one it for such people one bit!s That's one tough security guard I would want on my side!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It sad that anyone has to die. Even a criminal. I believe in jail time over death by any means. I believe the only being allowed to take a life is God. Just cause someone took a life does not make it right to take his or hers.

But yeah sad some died over some Apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Chula-Juana. Shouldn't be surprised.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
It's stuff like this which makes me wish the Police in the UK were armed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There were 40 or so shots fired, per the news, better the robber go down than some innocent victims. They showed up with guns. They pretty much signed their own death certificate when they started shooting. Could you imagine if this occured during open hours(probably not, unless they were really stupid), and a child got shot? If they would've not been armed, and the security guard shot and killed one of them, then I would agree with your statement. I don't trust thugs with guns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
But yeah sad some died over some Apple products.
Wow. Is that really what you think this was about?

We have three kids in their twenties. They're armed. They go to rob a store, probably to sell the stolen goods.

One fifty-eight-year old guard, doing his job, making his rounds, catches them in the act.

They could run, and probably get away.. They could even just stop and give up and get arrested, and probably be out in a year or two. Maybe a few months if the court system is overloaded, which it often is.

They choose to shoot at the guard. The guard shoots back, and stops them, and saves his own life and probably those of others.

I have some sympathy for these kids. They're dumb, they've probably been involved with things that they shouldn't have been since they were too young to know better. Their story would be sad enough if it was just a story about them.

But a man, doing his job, gets shot at, and defends himself, and that means nothing to you, the8thark. It's all about the Mac stuff, that's the only thing at stake here, that guard's life means nothing.

the8thark, you disgust me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Wow. Is that really what you think this was about?

the8thark, you disgust me.

Did you not read the whole post?

It sad that anyone has to die. Even a criminal. I believe in jail time over death by any means. I believe the only being allowed to take a life is God. Just cause someone took a life does not make it right to take his or hers.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Did you not read the whole post?
Yes, I did. I disagree with the part that you quoted, but if that was all he'd said, I wouldn't have cared. He's welcome to his opinion there. Hopefully none of us will ever be in that situation.

That bit about this being over "some Apple products", however, crossed the line. From what we know from the news articles, this was absolutely not about Apple products, or about property of any kind, and it's disgusting to suggest that it was.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the person chose an Apple to rob. They could have chosen another place it maybe done the right thing and not tried to commit a crime. They broke into the Apple store for a reason you know. Yes it got very ugly in the end.

But the bottom line is why did they even show up at the Apple store in the first place? To illegally obtain Apple products. If they didn't want the goods they would have not tried to rob the place, and the subsequent gun fight and death would have not occurred.

Yes it could all have been prevent if they chose not to rob the Apple store. Hence I stand by my statement. Be disgusted. I am. That people can end up dead just because of human greed. Greed for in this case Apple products. Probably to resell for the cash I would assume.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of the following from the community guidelines:
Play nice.
Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.
Please keep the discussion civil and refrain from attacking other members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yes, I did. I disagree with the part that you quoted, but if that was all he'd said, I wouldn't have cared. He's welcome to his opinion there. Hopefully none of us will ever be in that situation.

That bit about this being over "some Apple products", however, crossed the line. From what we know from the news articles, this was absolutely not about Apple products, or about property of any kind, and it's disgusting to suggest that it was.

I also disagree with The8, but it's a bit hard to see the direction you're taking. I'm hoping it's not : "Oh these poor misguided kids whom obviously come from a place that never taught them any better so woe as them", because that crap should never fly either. They're actually adults. They know right from wrong. Their motivation was $ and they're too lazy and have too many politically correct excuses working in their favor from the bleeding hearts, so think they don't have to do honest work like most other people.

They tried taking the easy way out, and I feel absolutely ZERO sympathy for them. They used what resources were available to obtain illegal firearms, when they could have perhaps used other resources to get a job. Boo freeekin Hoo for them that they grew up in a rough neighborhood. Everybody adapts to their environment. I know plenty of people who grew up in the worst possible situations, on a global level, and they had the heart to work their issues out.

Sure, not everybody is strong enough or has help enough from the people around them all the time, and in some cases they might get eaten alive by life... The world we live in stinks, for the most part, no doubt.

But don't sit there and tell me that there are never choices to make. I for one am glad that the tax paying citizens don't have to pony up to accommodate for all three of those wastes of life. They contribute nothing, and only take take and take. And now, not only did they kill someone, but now the legal system has to spend tax dollars to feed and shelter them. They'll adapt to life in prison and likely be more productive in there, than they ever were on the streets.

I've no idea if that's where you were coming from, but I just wanted to get that rant out there.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
My condolences go out to the guard and his family. Being forced to take a life, to make a decision in less than a second that will frame the rest of your family's life, is a terrible thing to live through. Having been present during and having had friends who have been through this, I can tell you that the emotional hangover from this is akin to what a rape survivor goes through. Being forced to do something horrendous and irrevocable that you don't want to do is a terrible thing to inflict on anyone. There isn't enough dope, pills or booze to make it go away. This person will carry the wreckage of what these three pathetic leeches chose to do to him forever. People he doesn't know will hate him by default and others will idolize the worst thing that ever happened to him. A sad affair. The perpetrators should be prosecuted to whatever extreme is available by law. The guard should get whatever assets the perpetrators have/had/will have to pay for the inevitable legal and personal costs he will face.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
My condolences go out to the guard and his family. Being forced to take a life, to make a decision in less than a second that will frame the rest of your family's life, is a terrible thing to live through. Having been present during and having had friends who have been through this, I can tell you that the emotional hangover from this is akin to what a rape survivor goes through. Being forced to do something horrendous and irrevocable that you don't want to do is a terrible thing to inflict on anyone. There isn't enough dope, pills or booze to make it go away. This person will carry the wreckage of what these three pathetic leeches chose to do to him forever. People he doesn't know will hate him by default and others will idolize the worst thing that ever happened to him. A sad affair. The perpetrators should be prosecuted to whatever extreme is available by law. The guard should get whatever assets the perpetrators have/had/will have to pay for the inevitable legal and personal costs he will face.

Great point that I neglected to make. Thanks.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"

From what I understand from my local news (I live in SD) is the criminals smashed the windows of the Apple Store.

The on-duty guard heard or was nearby and confronted them. One of them pulls a gun and he defends himself.

The incident probably occurred because the 2 men and woman did not want to be arrested.

All this happened because they wanted to steal from an Apple Store. So yes, a death happened over "some Apple products".

My condolences for all who were affected & I completely agree with XJ-linux's post.

Also, it is somewhat ironic that someone got shot on a freeway on the same day in San Diego. San Diego college student shot on freeway while driving to campus [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FBI gets involved in Apple Store robberies

FBI gets involved in Apple Store robberies
FBI gets involved in Apple Store robberies | 9 to 5 Mac FBI gets involved in Apple Store robberies | Apple Intelligence
USA Today is reporting that the FBI has taken an interest in the recent spate of high profile Apple Store robberies:

The FBI is assisting several law enforcement agencies in an ongoing investigation of more than a dozen Apple Store robberies in states from Connecticut to Virginia, said Special Agent J.J. Klaver in Philadelphia.
This follows news this week of a fatality during an armed smash and grab in San Diego and a Pittsburgh Apple Store that has been broken into three times.

It appears that USA Today got some industry experts to comment as well…

Such escalated incidents “are few and far between,” says Seth Weintraub, editor of the website 9to5 Mac. But, “The publicity surely has Apple on guard.”

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the go with all the Apple store robberies? Even the crims seem to prefer Apple products. Well here's Apple's new slogan:

"9 out of 10 criminals choose Apple products as their choice of loot to resell for a profit."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.