A Mac was used to create file folder names on a Mac file server:
10913 C
10913E
10913 Lab

From a PC, running either WinXP or Wndows 7, the user sees
1FAF1H-I
1FUE8X-8
1JAT1E~U

This is both puzzling and makes the folders impossible to use. This has been an intermittent problem for some time.

I even tired renaming 10913 C as 10913C, which made no difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I don't have Mac server version, so not sure I can help, but ...
You need to tell us more details.
Is this on a LAN or via internet?
What file sharing/serving protocol are you using? SMB, NFS, AFP, SFTP, http, etc?

OP
W
Reaction score
I have examined the link provided by gsahli and although it describes the same problem, one should not have to buy MacDrive to access server files which should be properly displayed by the SMB service. I don't even think MacDrive works over a network. The reference in the same thread to another tool was redacted as too long a URL. My request for a short-form of that URL received no response. This problem does not occur with every file created and so, cannot be a fundamental file system problem.

OP
W
Reaction score
Names are being "mangled"

Further reading finds that the characteristic tilde "~", as the penultimate character, means that the filenames are being "mangled" by the SMB service. There are parameters in the smb.conf file to turn off mangling (only needed for compatibility with 8.3-filename-restricted OS). However, there are clear warnings not to edit smb.conf directly. I find a reference that these parameters are set in Mac OS X 10.5 Server using "Server Preferences - sharing - file sharing". However, the "file sharing" option is not visible, since we are using "advanced configuration" settings on the server. Does anyone know how the smb.conf parameters are changed when using the "advanced configuration" version of the Leopard Server?

OP
W
Reaction score
Solved

The problem was traced to a final blank (space) character at the end of the folder name. It is necessary to completely retype the filename when correcting this error. A similar mangling occurs if there is a final period character.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.