Recover Hard Drive Space

S

stewart

Hey guys,

I only have a 40Gb hard drive in my Mac Mini and I'd like to try and get some of the ~18Gb used by programs and Tiger when I unpacked it from the box, I have tried looking through for languages and stuff that I really don't need and I unsintalled some software which I don't want to use however theres somethings I don't know if I can delete.

1) Where do I find the languages I dont need? For instance I have French, German, a few Asian languages too installed at the moment, I only want English.
2) Can I just delete the Pages and Keynote folders? It's only trial versions but I dont want to balls anything up? Or can I note break anything in the Apps folder apart from Mail and Safari etc. ?
3) What else can I delete to save some space? Printer drivers?

Thanks,

Stew

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
DeLocalizer will in that area. I don't know if it will work in the Tiger (10.4) environment.

I you are not planning to you pages and keynote, you can trash them.

I believe the easiest was to get rid of the printer drivers is to do a fresh install and only install the printer drivers you want.

OP
S

stewart

**** thats annoying about the printer drivers, I read that OSX install 1.5Gb of drivers if you don't choose not to.

Thanks for the DeLocalizer program, I'll give that a go.

I just ordered iWork so I'll trash the trial versions and install it when it arrives on disc.

Edit: Wow, DeLocalizer's awesome, took about 15 minutes and saved me 2.5Gb of space. :)

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
JDiskreport is also a helpful tool when trying to get a visual of the data on your HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.