Randomly my keyboard back light locks up, showing a circle with a slash.

Reaction score
my laptop was in sleep mode in the dark all day, i grabbed it and was using it as my friend drove me to his house but the keyboard would not light up and when i tried using the hot keys (F5 and F6) it would show a circle with a slash through it like a no smoking sign without the cigarette. I went into a very dark room and had the same exact results, i even covered the camera that senses it with no luck. i went into the system prefreneces and clicked and un clicked the illuminate keyboard in low light condtions, fixing the problem. Why did this happen? i tried to get it to happen again by un ticking the box but i couldnt figure it out because if i untick it and raise the brightness it automatically ticks the illuminate keyboard box. Any idea why this occured? i just got the unit 3 days ago is this normal to happen or should i worry about it happening again following more problems?

when i was in the car it was bright outside.

OP
S
Reaction score
i just tested it by going outside, it locked up! so i guess its normal when its brighter out to lock up, i also held it close to a lamp and it locked up, my only concern is why it didnt switch back when i was in a dark room the first time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
This seems to be quite common, I often find my light sensor has decided it's too bright to need the keyboard backlight, when actually I want it. I found a small app called Labtick which allows you to overide the sensor.

OP
S
Reaction score
This seems to be quite common, I often find my light sensor has decided it's too bright to need the keyboard backlight, when actually I want it. I found a small app called Labtick which allows you to overide the sensor.

it happened once and took about 10 or so min for it to relize i wa sin the dark, would you consider tht a major problem i just got the macbook like 3 days ago if its guna be a problem i need thrid party software for i can return it otherwise its no biggie if its an occasonial thing i dnt wana have to use a third party program to do what it should be expected to do as long as the brightness up and down buttons work im ok with it but when that locks up it ****** me off i dont want it to keep reoccuring

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.