Slow parallel 6

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not having one, all I have to go on is Wikipedia which says that it indeed does (here).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not having one, all I have to go on is Wikipedia which says that it indeed does (here).

That could be it then. In effect, it's got 4 cores, just as my 15" has 8.

Check out the memory consumption on the kernel alone:

2011-04-04_2215.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply put, you need more RAM. With the Core i7, your Mac will use about 1.5GB just to boot. So, assuming you're doing nothing on the Mac and you've allocated 2GB to the VM, you've got just a paltry 512MB in reserve. You Mac will start digging into virtual memory, and that's when things start to bog down - both on the VM and on the Mac.

I ran into almost the exact same issue. Added 8GB to my MacBook Pro and now the two run comfortably together.

so maybe the answer to my issue is to add more memory?

Coulda sworn I remembered writing that back in post #8, first page ;)

I recommend OtherWorldComputing.com (OWC). Good prices, lifetime guaranteed - and seeing as how these machines appear to be extremely picky about RAM (at least from what I've read), it doesn't pay to go with generic.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
kernel_task here is only using ~249MB of memory so it could very well be a processor specific issue (I only have two cores both of which are physical). I suppose the logic is "if you have it, use it" but I hope that's not the case. This doesn't compare with Chrome using ~391MB of memory across nine processes. I have more than enough memory but still.

smol, that may help to rectify the issue but only if a lack of memory is actually the cause which it sounds like it is. My suggestion would be to keep AM open for a while and especially as you use and close Parallels to see how much memory is being used. The symptoms you describe do sound like memory issues but you should be able to comfortably run Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM as long as you allocate memory properly (don't allocate 3.5GB to the VM for instance).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the help folks, appreciate it, guess i will add more ram and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
When installing Parallels, I'm assuming it asks during setup how much RAM you'd like to use for the VM? If I'm installing Win XP, since it'll only recognize 3GB, is there any reason to give it any more than that? Does the VM itself require RAM?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When installing Parallels, I'm assuming it asks during setup how much RAM you'd like to use for the VM? If I'm installing Win XP, since it'll only recognize 3GB, is there any reason to give it any more than that? Does the VM itself require RAM?

Yes - a virtual machine requires a chunk of the host computer's memory to be allocated to it when it's running - and yes, that configuration is done during setup of the vm.

For Windows XP, you can get away with 1GB (actually, the recommended is 512MB, if I remember correctly). Windows 7 is a different beast altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When installing Parallels, do I need to allocate how much hard disk space I want to give Windows, or is that only if I'm setting up Windows in Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
When installing Parallels, do I need to allocate how much hard disk space I want to give Windows, or is that only if I'm setting up Windows in Boot Camp?

You can change ALL of that after Parallels is installed! Nice feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there an option in Parallels to prevent/not allow Windows to connect to the internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Depends on how you setup the Virtual Machine. If you want it to point to your boot camp partition - then you set up Hard Disk Space in Bootcamp - if you want a pure virtual machine with virtual disks then you set that up in parallels. You can always create more virtual disks as you need them with that setup.

Is there an option in Parallels to prevent/not allow Windows to connect to the internet?
You can always disable any part of the computer - including networking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coolio. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I actually have the manual (at home), but I was at work, and curious, and there was an open topic on the subject; so I asked. I'm quite familiar with finding answers to my own questions though. Next time I'll hold my curiousity and save my question until I get home and look it up myself. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to do so - we're here to answer questions. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.