buying a used iphone 4 that was already activated just restored

Reaction score
ok so im about to buy one used and i currently have an iphone 3gs. I know ill have to cut my sim card down but i wont need to activate the phone again right?? i would just plug my sim card in and do a back up and everything will work smoothly correct??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I had the same problem. I decided just to go to the AT&T store. It was very fast and it was free. There is some risk involved in cutting down your Sim card. I don't suggest it. You are safer just going to the AT&T store.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Honestly, cutting the sim card is super easy. It cuts easily with a decent pair of scissors. It's not much harder than cutting a piece of paper into the shape of a sim.

sim card cutting template - Google Search

That being said, if AT&T will give you a new sim for free, then that's the way to go. I was under the impression that they charge $25, but that may vary from store to store.

Just back up your old phone, install the sim in the new phone, ctrl-click the new phone in iTunes, select "Restore from Backup" and everything will transfer over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.