Disabling touchpad

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a way to disable the touchpad on the iPad? My goal is to be able to trace on the iPad without my fingers moving the image on the screen around. There are workarounds [eg making the picture my lockscreen wallpaper] but a jailbreak tweak would be great to add an option for the mute/orientation lock switch to be able to control the touchscreen. and yes, I have a screen protector on... this seems clumsy but it is for light tracing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
A good question but riddle me this... once you have turned the touchscreen off by tapping the icon for it... how would you turn it back on again?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
A good question but riddle me this... once you have turned the touchscreen off by tapping the icon for it... how would you turn it back on again?

- Simon

If the OP used a tweak that allows another option for the side switch, all he would have to do is slide the switch to the other side to enable the touchscreen.

OP
M
Reaction score
If the OP used a tweak that allows another option for the side switch, all he would have to do is slide the switch to the other side to enable the touchscreen.

Yup! Either that, or ever holding down the home button to toggle. This would be useful. I can see this being used in tattoo shops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Yup! Either that, or ever holding down the home button to toggle. This would be useful. I can see this being used in tattoo shops.

Holy cow, I never even thought of that. I'm sitting here wondering why someone would want to trace or disable the touchscreen. Nice example =)

Reaction score
Wait...Why would you want to turn off the touch screen? If you turn the touchscreen off, you can't do anything...

Reaction score
Wait...Why would you want to turn off the touch screen? If you turn the touchscreen off, you can't do anything...

well done for reading the entire question :) :p

Reaction score
I did read his question. I just dont get it...He said 'trace the ipad with my fingers without moving the image'. You mean just move your fingers around on the screen over an image for no purpose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Jman, you are exhibiting poor reading comprehension and quoting.

"My goal is to be able to trace on the iPad without my fingers moving the image"

not

'trace the ipad with my fingers without moving the image'

These are two different sentences. What the OP wants is to have the picture static so that it doesn't move around while tracing an image - i.e. like a light table.

Light Table: Shop Light Tables & Light Boxes at DraftingTables.com

Reaction score
Touch lock for i pad

Hi al
For the ones looking for an example on why would we need to lock the touchboption.

My 8months baby loves watching shows on it(song shows) but she keeps trying to pull out the people out of the screen. Each time she touches it ,it stopes playing and she starts crying.
If the touch would lock she could watch and play with it at the same time!

An example is also the tutorials for shapes and colours, it intrests her to touch the screen but then it stops, or changes app!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You've kind of resurrected a thread from 2 years ago so I wouldn't look to the original poster to to back to you, perhaps consider a new thread.

Personally, I wouldn't want to put my expensive electronics in the reach of a small child (but that's personal preference), that aside, take a look at Settings - General - Accessibility - Guided Access

It locks you into an app with a triple click of the home button, lets you disable all or parts of the screen and more.

iOS: About Guided Access

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.