Looking for a simple Mac database

DSP

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking for a simple database for the mac. I've looked at Bento, but it just seems to be more complex than I want, for example, I have no need for pictures.

I just want to catalogue things like DVDs, with title, actor, genre, rating, etc, and then be able to select, say, all films with the same director and print out a list.

Everything I've looked at seems to want to scan barcodes, import images and so on, which all seems a bit unnecessary.

I guess I could just do something in Numbers, but that seems to be a bit too far down the 'hair shirt' route.

Can anyone suggest something in the middle, please?

Cheers!

DSP

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All the decent ones today are going to offer to scan barcodes. You can use that feature or not - up to you.

And I doubt very seriously you're going to find a cataloging app for DVDs that doesn't offer to import data. No one would buy such a thing any longer.

You don't have to use all the features of an app just because they're offered.

OP
D

DSP

Reaction score
Hmm.
It's not specifically for doing DVDs, just... 'stuff' in general.
What I'm more concerned about is being able to print out a simple list of selected data, in the form:

Record 1 XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Record 2 XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Record 3 XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Record 4 XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Record 5 XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Record 6 XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

Whereas something like Bento, with a fancy layout and pictures etc. is probably going to only put about two recs on one sheet of A4!

I'll take a look at the ones you suggest though, just in case there's something suitable in there.

I suspect (though it pains me to say it) that wahat I want is Microsoft Access - the nearest I can find is Filemaker Pro, though that's way too expensive.

Might have a look at OpenOffice.org/Base

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to take a look at the newer LibreOffice instead. The Open Office project is more or less dead now that all its programmers are working on Libre Office.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.