2011 MBP to cinema display?

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a new Macbook Pro, specifically the 17" 2.3 Ghz:

Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

My current G5 is hooked up to a 1920x1200 cinema display via a DVI connection, and I'd like to switch and use that monitor as my display for the MBP once it arrives. My understanding is that the MBP runs at 1920x1200, so the resolutions match up. Is it as easy as plugging the monitor into the Macbook, what's on the computer will display on the monitor, and that's that?

I think I need help identifying the proper cable though. I assume the MBP can't take a DVI directly... I've found several types of converter cables on Apple's site, but am unsure which I'd need to buy to get the cinema display's DVI converted to whatever it is the Macbook Pro uses.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As you may know...the new 2011 computers come with a new port called "Thunderbolt". To the best of my knowledge (for the purposes of connecting your older Cinema Display with DVI)...this Thunderbolt Port is a "fancy mini-display" port:

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

Quote from the Apple article: "...any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter."

So for your purposes of connecting your older Cinema Display...you would need this "mini-display port to DVI" video adapter:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
That's actually the first I've heard of "Thunderbolt", so that's new to me. :D But you're right, that appears to be what's needed... Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're welcome...good luck with the purchase.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.