VMWare Fusion issues?

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to mac. I have several windows programs I still need to access and have decided on VMware to do that. The computer runs fine if VM ware is open. If I close it, scrolling is jumpy and any video I play is jumpy. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a MBP i5 with 8gb of Ram. I have allotted 4gb to VMware when it is running (music and video software needs it).

Thanks in advance for any help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated - when you close VMWare. Are you referring to shutting down the VM only? Or do you mean when you shut down the VM and then shut down VMWare?

You do realize that Fusion is still running unless you quit it? After you shut Windows down in Fusion, the program still runs in the background and has control of video, sound, etc. You must click on the red dot or right click on VMWare and select quit. After you do that, all control will return to OS X and things should run normally.

By the way, this is a common error lots of new users make. It just takes getting used to the Mac way of doing things.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am totally quitting VMWare. That is what is strange. When it is running, I have no problems. It is when I quit the program that it has issues. As long as it is running, whether I have pulled Windows up or not, everything works fine.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How are you quitting? Are you quitting using CMD+Q or the Quit menu option or something else?

A (properly) closed application should certainly not be adversely affecting system performance..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something's not right. Because it sounds very much like VMWare is still running. Try this: Next time, reboot your MBP and let's see if things return to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.