Wait 4 to 6 weeks for iMac......Not me!!!!!

Reaction score
I had made my mind up I was going to get a new iMac with the 2.9 Quad core processer, 2-T plus 256 SDD drive, 8 GB ram until Apple in Malaysia just told me I would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks………….and I don’t want to wait, so now I am thinking I will just go with a stock iMac (biggest in store model) and get a 11” MB Air as well…….my question is will the stock iMac be fast enough for my usage and could I upgrade the HD and Ram at a later date if need be??
I need the computer for the items below;
Email
Surfing web
Running Parallels (to check company mail)
Analyzing my golf swing (same program as I have on my iPhone V1)
Downloading movies
Thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The base (i3) iMac can do what you want with absolutely no problems..there's nothing there that's so demanding that you absolutely need the i7 Quad Core for..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
Wait 4 to 6 weeks for iMac....Not me!!!!

Any iMac should be great for what you stated. I have a 2006 iMac 2.o GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD which is still running beautifully. I run iPhoto as well as Photoshop Essentials, Ofiice 2011. I have also used Parallels to run Windows programs, including MS Office (full version), and haven't experienced any slowdowns, lockups, etc. If you want to future-proof your new iMac, order the i5 processor and get more RAM. Buy the RAM elsewhere, as Apple really charges too much for their RAM. OWC or Crucial are good choices. Hope this helps!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't need a top of the line machine for anything in that list. If you're going to be running Parallels, I'd suggest at least 4GB of RAM which they all come with now anyway.

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
The base (i3) iMac can do what you want with absolutely no problems..there's nothing there that's so demanding that you absolutely need the i7 Quad Core for..

Regards
Any idea what you can get in a "on the shelf iMac" if you walk into an Apple store............I am on a Oil Rig in Angola so cant just pop into the local Apple store. I tried looking online but whenever I go to the iMac page it takes me to the configure page so not sure what is stock or what options you can get from a high street Apple store

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The base model you are selecting in order to get to the configure page is what you will find in stock in most Apple stores.

You change any of those items from the default on the configure page - you just extended the time it will take for them to ship your machine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here you are - specific details on each of the four models available.

The lowest end iMac gives you a Core i3 (3.06Ghz), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB).

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Here you are - specific details on each of the four models available.

The lowest end iMac gives you a Core i3 (3.06Ghz), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256MB).
Thanks for the link, I hope that I can get the quad core........no idea what it is but just guessing that if it is more expensive then it must be better. I will also get the 11" MB Air, hopefully with the 128 GB and 4 GB ram and off the shelf??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better. ;)

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: do you need all that power? If not, and money is an issue, don't go for the most expensive simply because it has higher specs (which you don't seem to need). If money is no issue, there is something to be said for buying the best machine possible. Ultimately, it's your call but make sure you know what you're purchasing given your needs (or lack thereof).

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better. ;)

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: do you need all that power? If not, and money is an issue, don't go for the most expensive simply because it has higher specs (which you don't seem to need). If money is no issue, there is something to be said for buying the best machine possible. Ultimately, it's your call but make sure you know what you're purchasing given your needs (or lack thereof).
Thanks for the comments and I appreciate you being up front.......money is not an issue, I just don’t want to buy something and two weeks later be saying I wish I had done this or that.
From what everyone else is saying I now believe that the off the shelf is plenty big enough for anything that I need.
If at a later date I wanted to add say a SDD drive or more ram would that be possible??

Thanks again
Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and
Thanks for the comments and I appreciate you being up front.......money is not an issue, I just don’t want to buy something and two weeks later be saying I wish I had done this or that.
From what everyone else is saying I now believe that the off the shelf is plenty big enough for anything that I need.
If at a later date I wanted to add say a SDD drive or more ram would that be possible??

Thanks again
Neil

Completely possible ( well depending on how computer savvy you are ) r 27" iMac comes with a HDD bay and a SSD bay to put a SSD in it's the same as if ou were just switching out your HDD and for the RAM a monkey could change the RAM blindfolded and a little intoxicated :) but I agree with everyone else the base i3 will jot disappoint you at all for what you'll be doing

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Looks like I have some luck with getting the 11" MBA off the shelf with 128 GB HD but it only has 2 GB Ram...............is that going to be OK
emails
internet
pictures
wathch movies while traveling
Could I take it to a local computer shop and have another 2 GB installed at a later date??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and
Looks like I have some luck with getting the 11" MBA off the shelf with 128 GB HD but it only has 2 GB Ram...............is that going to be OK
emails
internet
pictures
wathch movies while traveling
Could I take it to a local computer shop and have another 2 GB installed at a later date??

I'm pretty sure samesung now sell's the new Macbook Air's type of RAM but that doesn't mean a respectable computer shop will change that part ( Just for the fact apple kinda doesn't want DIY ) but possible Yes. But for email, internet watching movies you might need 4GB of RAM if you were doing all of them at once . :) But in the scheme of things you will love your new computer's ( Apple specializes in computers for email, Web and watching movies)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@TheAmazingApple

Memory is not upgradeable in the MacBook Air. If you buy the machine with 2 GB, that's what you have to live with. The flash storage, however, can be upgraded - but it's expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@TheAmazingApple

Memory is not upgradeable in the MacBook Air. If you buy the machine with 2 GB, that's what you have to live with. The flash storage, however, can be upgraded - but it's expensive.

Got mixed up :/ sorry I was wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I need the computer for the items below;
Email
Surfing web
Running Parallels (to check company mail)
Analyzing my golf swing (same program as I have on my iPhone V1)
Downloading movies
My wife and I just got an iMac, described on the left here, which is the bottom of the ladder in the performance department. It is upgraded to 8GB ram.
We use it for everyday things, mail, music, dvds, flash games for our daughter, lit photo work, surfing, and light financial things in Oppenoffice.
When we transferred over our music and photos it did take a few minutes, maybe 20 at the most, but that was a one time thing. The wireless backups, which has been an issue of late, takes a while. Hardwired is relatively fast though.
So considering the only time intensive task was transferring 7000 photos and 30GB of music (while continuing to use it for other things) we are sitting pretty good with what we have.
What you were talking about buying sounds like you want to open a production company or music label, lol just saying.
HTH

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
OK I have had some luck and have found a Apple store in KL that has the Quad Core in stock with 4 GB ram..........will upgrade that to 8 GB seeing as i will be running Parallels and that will be my base computer, i am still thinking about the 11" MacBook Air but can’t find it anywhere in KL with 4 GB ram .........128 hard drive OK but the ram is the problem

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Got mixed up :/ sorry I was wrong
so does that mean I can just buy the 128 GB Hard drive with the 2 GB ram and take it to a computer shop and get the ram upgraded to 4 GB ????????..................sounds great if that is the case:):)

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Apple guy just emailed me and the extra 4GB of ram is RM500 = $166

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
glad you got it figured out, gl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.