Sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
Is there an easier way to put my iMac to sleep? Granted hitting the Apple button and sleep isn't terribly difficult, but I was kinda hoping I could map an F-key to put it to sleep or something.

Also where's the settings to put it to sleep (as far as how much inactive time passes before it sleeps)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The answer to your second question is the suggestion I was going to offer to your first question. :)
Those settings are in System Preferences>Energy Saver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Settings for sleep delay are in System Preferences > Energy Saver
As for a shortcut, the only one I know is the keyboard shortcut alt+cmd+eject

Hope this helps
- Simon

Reaction score
If you want to have a "Go To Sleep" icon on your dock, like I do, Apple has an Automator action available for download.

Apple - Downloads - Automator Actions - Sleep

If you want - after you get the Automator action running, you could also assign it to an F-Key using the following instruction:

1 - Put your Automator Action into the Applications folder
2 - System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts
3 - Click the + to add an app
4 - Select your sleep Automator App from the drop down.
5 - Give it a title
6 - Click in the Keyboard Shortcut box and then press whichever key you want to use.

There may be a conflict if that key is already in use by another action, so you'll want to go through the other shortcuts to uncheck whatever currently uses your F-Key.

Good luck,
Z

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How to I check if there are any other keys setup to use those shortcuts?

Reaction score
In the Application Shortcuts window, go through the lists and see. That, or you can press the key you want and see what, if anything, happens ;)

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still learning...where is the application shortcuts window??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still learning...where is the application shortcuts window??

System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts Tab

For most settings, you'll usually look in System Preferences. That's often a good place to start. :)

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Danke'! I've been going out of my way not to load Windows on my Mac for at least a few weeks in order to force myself to learn it. Its been great, but I definitely appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. You'll get it in time. There's always a bit of a learning curve.
Have you looked at the Mac 101 and Switch 101 tutorials?

C

chas_m

I'm not quite sure I see the point of trying for something easier than command-option-eject (ie, sleep). That seems pretty easy to me.

You could also set up a hot corner if you're more of a mousing person. That also is very easy.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I probably did it wrong, but the one time I tried command-option-eject, my Mac rebooted. So I was looking for other options. Yes, I went through the Switch101 tutorials, but I'm more of a hands-on kind of learner. I may be pig-headed, but I'll get it.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(this could sound stupid)

Okay so I'm looking at "sleep" right now under the Apple icon. Its got three symbols for sleep shortcut. Cloverleaf I understand is Command. Eject is self-explaining, but what is the (what I'm calling the) "slide" symbol? I've seen this before and I'm assuming that the slide symbol is either Control or Option.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
There's also Exposé just in case you want another way. I have top left of my screen to go to screensaver, and bottom left to put display to sleep.

I know it isn't the same as going directly to sleep, but it does the trick for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 12gb iMac i5; iPhone 4s; 13.3" MacBook Air
I am having trouble with my iMac staying in "sleep" using the shortcut...this just started. I use the same shortcut I've always used. (Command/Option/Eject) Recently, it's started just "waking" right after it goes to sleep...I'm not pushing any buttons or moving the mouse. I was wondering if anybody had similar issues and if there's a way to remedy this. Thanks.

C

chas_m

Usually this is indicative of some background process that is still active, so the first thing to do is check your login/startup items and other processes that are still running to see if something is still trying to connect to the internet. Maybe some program hasn't been closed properly and does a periodic autosave, or some such.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed that if my (for example) Transmission is downloading something, my Mac doesn't want to sleep. Makes sense as its typically a bad idea to sleep when doing something important...thats how accidents happen on the freeway. Oddly enough, this is why its also a good idea not to text and drive or try and put on a pair of pantyhose during rush hour traffic in your Toyota.

C

chas_m

Yes, any program that is actively doing something (like downloading) will prevent sleep. This is why it's a good practice to quit all programs before sleeping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.