Can't open downloaded mp3

Reaction score
Hi there, first time posting. Looking for some advice. I used Itubex to download a long youtube video and extracted the audio. Both the video file and the audio file downloaded fine and appear on my desktop. I click on the video and it plays straight away. When I click on the mp3 file itunes opens but nothing plays. I've tried dragging the icon into itunes, it all looks like it should have worked (i.e the wee green plus sight appears, the location turns blue etc) but nothing plays or appears.
In Finder if I click "Get Info" I can play it on the preview function so it's obviously there and working but I just can't get it to play any other way.
I'm scratching my head, any ideas?

Cheers, Gus.

C

chas_m

Sounds like the extracted audio isn't really in MP3 format, but is in some format QuickTime can play.

Try playing in QT again, only this time "get info" on the file and let us know what it reports.

OP
K
Reaction score
Tried "open with" when the file was playing with QT but nothing came up. Put the file back in the Trash, took it out and tried again and QT said that it couldn't open it now!
Anyway, no drama, I got the same file sent from a different source so all's well.
Still don't understand though!
Thanks for replying.
Gus.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.