Mac and iPhone don't mix

Reaction score
Hey Mac Forums,

This is my first post, but I'm in a bit of a pickle and have been for over a year now. Two or so years ago I bought the, then, new uni-body Macbooks. The shiny metal ones. I loved it very much for a year, then I bought the next version, the one that actually got fire wire this time, and gave the old one to my gf. I used the built in mac transfer utility, and a USB hard-disk. Once my stuff was transferred over, I went about my business. Now, here is why my problem comes in - ever since going to the new MBP, every time there is an update for iOS, my computer WILL NOT accept my iPhone for updating. It just won't. I can go to my gf's mac and it will work. I can run boot-camp or Parralells, and it works, but not on MY Mac. Any thoughts? For anyone wondering, I'm using the latest version of itunes, and snow leopard. Everything is up to date, but my iPhone 4. :(

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
What happens exactly when you try to update the iphone? Sorry but its a little vague. If you could provide what happens like an error message etc that would help us to help you.

Cheers
- Simon

OP
aidenconri
Reaction score
Simon,

It does throw up an error code, but it doesn't ever seem to match. What happens is this; the iphone will go through the motions of updating, it flashes, saying wait for it to reboot and activate, but before the update is finalized it stops in the middle and throws an error. Apple's website says to do the following; reboot, get itunes (newest), get latest firmware (which is usually what I'm after), then it just says, and this is my favorite, give up and use another computer. I've tried all steps, and only the last one works. I could see this happening once, but EVERY time I try to update my iphone's firmware? I don't know what to say, it irks me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take the phone in to an Apple store and ask them to do a restore on it. Have seen this a couple of times, where only a factory reset would allow complete functionality of an iPod, etc when moving to a different computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Try a different USB port?

OP
aidenconri
Reaction score
Well, i've done a factory re-install, and it's actually happened with both my iphone 3g, 3gs, and now my iphone4. It's the weirdest thing. And I've used more than one USB port. It works fine with my iPad. but never with my iphone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.