Need help on Mac

Reaction score
Just bought my macbook about 8 months ago. earlier today, I was on the internet when it started to slow down. It got slower and slower until it completely froze up. I tried different things and before i knew it the screen went black. The curser was spinning, then it also disappeared. I waited for the battery to die and i turned it on and it seems to be working a little slower. I also noticed the light in the front of the mac doesnt work. Can anyone help me out on what is going on?

C

chas_m

It's hard to tell from the description, but among the possibilities is that your hard drive is in the process of dying. I trust you have a good, current backup?

(even if that doesn't turn out to be the culprit, this is a good question to answer "yes" to)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you bought it "new" 8 months ago then it should still be covered by the standard 12 months AppleCare, my suggestion is to get it to your Apple Store before that time runs out as it will be free.

- Simon

Reaction score
I have to agree with the others. Also I noticed that my Mac became really slow a while back when I had mail.app running. For that reason I now use thunderbird.

Reaction score
Use Onyx to check the S.M.A.R.T status of your hard drive and see whether it is dying or not. Use activity Monitor to see if any processes are taking all your memory and making your computer go slower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.