Tracking cookie/spyware/adware/malware?

Reaction score
Hi, I was recently interested to see if there were any tracking cookies or malware or the like on my macbook pro (using safari). I went to a thread here:
Mac spyware/adware/malware problem - MacRumors Forums

where people suggested
% cat /private/etc/hosts
or equivalently
% cat /etc/hosts
...but did not suggest any followup courses of action in case there was a problem.

when I did this I saw an unusual entry (at the end) that I don't quite understand:

Code:
$ cat /etc/hosts

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1	localhost
255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
::1             localhost 
fe80::1%lo0	localhost

is there a problem with that last entry? It looks odd to me. If not, what is it? If so, what should I do?

Is there another (easier?) way to determine if I have any tracking cookies or malware installed on my computer? My specific question actually arises from this general question.

Thanks,
StevieP

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that quick reply which answers my general question. I hope that I also might get an answer to my specific question above as well. :)
-steviep

OP
S
Reaction score
:Oops: :Blushing: ohhh that hurts... Sorry didn't I search that. I thought, naively, that that strange IP would certainly be specific to my machine.
Thanks many times,
steviep

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.